Getting back in DJing after 9 years out... Gear advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Getting back in DJing after 9 years out... Gear advice

chaps,

as the title suggests, finally decided to get back into DJing after 9 years from the last time i bought some vinyl. Always stayed in touch with the music but space, relationships and 9-5 job got in the way of things.

Need some gear advice. I still have my 1210's and old vestax mixer (and 500+ vinyl) and still want to keep the decks. Mixer is pretty bashed up so will replace that. I'm definitely thinking going the digital route as i have no interest in buying expensive CDJs, and i'd rather spin vinyl which i already have. I also have a decent PC to run [insert any software here], so a pretty good starting point.

So what do i get? A simple 2 channel controller? Modules? Serato v Traktor? Please fire across the recommendations. I'm thinking that the best solution is to get a controller which i can connect both the PC and 1210s to and build a system around that, but willing to listen to advice. I play drum'n'bass too, which might help the selection.

Thanks in advance...

First decide on the software. Next choice depends on how much $$$ you have on your disposal.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I'd say budget comes before software choice.

You could get an entire DVS setup, mixer n' all for $200 with the free "mixxx" software and American Audio soundcard/mixer,
    $350 with mixvibes cross, $450 with VirtualDJ 8.

Realistically though, for a decent Serato or Traktor setup you are looking at $800-1200 for a decent mixer or controller setup

So how important is the controller element of the setup to you ? e.g.

Do you scratch ?
    Do you want on-board effects ?
    Do you even plan on using effects ?
    Do you want to use the advanced features of the software or just choose tracks?
    Do you want to be able to use the unit without requiring vinyl control as well as with ?
    Do you want a mixer size unit or do you mind a large controller size unit ?

Lot of questions that need to be answered before making a decision.

Tech Convert

I like the Traktor equipment by Native Instruments. Nice quality sound card, good, flexible effects and well-built too.
    With the pretty recent upgrade to the S4 (their 4 deck controller), I imagine you can find the old version (a few less controls, slightly different build,) you can probably save a lot. The software is very approachable and if you want to expand into more performance oriented stuff as opposed to just mixing records, the Remix decks let you do that very easily. Even if you just want to mix records this is a fantastic way to go with 4 decks supported and EQs and filters on every channel. You might find the S2, the 2 deck version for a deal as well, especially as they move toward the 4 deck metaphor and push their new S8 controller, which looks great but has no jog wheels (which scares off some DJs who want tactile control in the vinyl vein), plus its a bit expensive.

I started on Vinyl and the prohibitive expense of CDJs plus the limitations that software have already overcome makes the controller the most attractive option in my mind, but this is just my opinion. I also like the notion that I am not at the mercy of the equipment that the venue has there. Too many bleeding faders, dodgy tables and feedback loops from sound guys who didn't isolate for bass have really helped me to appreciate the virtues of a setup allows me to plug into one pair of inputs and rock out.

Hope this helps.

I would recommend a Traktor X1 or two. Pretty cheap way of getting into Traktor, too. Get whatever mixer floats your boat and has analogue ins for your vinyl. I have an Allen & Heath Xone 92, which I love. Others like Pioneer more, or whatever grabs you at your price point. The advantage of mixers like the Pioneer 900 is that you can go Usb in with Traktor, etc so you don't need a soundcard. However, you can get NI soundcards 2nd hand on eBay, which is what I did.

I was in a similar situation to you in 2011. I bought a Traktor S4, but then went modular with the Traktor X1 and using a more traditional analogue mixer. I don't think I would go back to a controller now. I like a traditional analogue mixer, like the Xone, that doesn't go out of fashion, and I can just put anything through it.
    Xone92/X1 MKII X 2/F1/Macbook Pro 13/Technics SL1210 MK2's
    https://soundcloud.com/timbo21-1/tracks

Radio Show Every Friday & Saturday Night 22.00-00.00 BST
    http://www.jazzlondonradio.com/timbo...-london-radio/

isn't the Z2 on sale at the moment?
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Tech Convert

Thanks for the replies.

Answering a few questions, the software I'm going with is Traktor, I don't scratch and have no interest in scratching and finally I'd like to have DVS ability.

Key things for me is to be able to control Traktor and all the new digital tunes I'm buying, plus the ability to link in my 1210's so I can both play the old records plus have a DVS system too.

The options I see are:

1 - get something like the kontrol S4 and upgrade to the DVS control. Plug in the decks and PC and all good.

2 - go with a new standard mixer and then add modules such as the X1.

Leaning towards the S4 but want to explore other options to see if there is a cheaper solution.

Keep the replies coming
    Last edited by mikeej; 03-22-2015 at 02:32 PM.

Leaning towards the S4 but want to explore other options to see if there is a cheaper solution.
    In a nutshell - not really if you want to use Traktor scratch - its probably the cheapest solution once you factor in a mixer

UNLESS

You go with a Z2 which might save you $100 but you will lose jogwheels and a ton of non turntable functions (but gain pure mixer without a laptop ability).

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    In a nutshell - not really if you want to use Traktor scratch - its probably the cheapest solution once you factor in a mixer

UNLESS

You go with a Z2 which might save you $100 but you will lose jogwheels and a ton of non turntable functions (but gain pure mixer without a laptop ability).
    Thanks, so let's assume Traktor scratch is not needed, how would that change things?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeej View Post
    Thanks, so let's assume Traktor scratch is not needed, how would that change things?
    You would still need traktor scratch to use your turntables, OR some other similar software.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast