Is XONE DB4 a good choice?!

Default Is XONE DB4 a good choice?!

Hello Everybody.

I’m new to this forum.

I’m a Traktor DJ, I play mostly deep/funky/disco house and currently use a TA2 with a Xone 42 (love the Xone mixers) & X1 as my setup.

I’m looking to upgrade my mixer to the Xone DB4 as I’d like to use the internal soundcard for 4 deck Traktor mixing plus benefit from the amazing studio FX (Mark EG’s fx demo pretty much sold this mixer to me) and sweet A&H filters.

After searching the internet forums for the last few months I see that many users experience serious software (drivers/usb3) and quality issues with their DB4/2 mixers – however these seem to date back to 2013 and its now 2015 so perhaps these have been addressed.

I was thinking about getting the TA10 in case DB4 sound-card still has some driver issues at this time. This is not the ideal solution (at this price) but I still believe the mixer performs better then the DJM 900 (which I also had on my wishlist).

So with this in mind I have a few questions to Xone DB4 (and perhaps DB2) owners:

1. Are there any current (2015) known issues with the DB4/2 audio interface, Traktor latency? I currently use the Windows 7 Laptop with usb2 with no issues and plan to upgrade to Win8/usb3 (or higher).

2. Are there any hardware/ build quality issues (read about buttons breaking, channel noise, faceplate scratches from faders etc.)?

I’m planning to purchase the DB4 in early April – are there any audio tests I should do immediately after purchase to check that everything is in order before the 10 day return policy (UK) runs out (the mixer is a handful for someone switching from a Xone 42).

I very much appreciate any information from fellow xone users regarding the DB4 (or DB2). It’s a lot of cash so wanna make sure I’m making the right choice. My heart is set on the DB4!

Thanks!

I've had mine a good bit now and can't recall ever having any issues with it. Windows Vista and 7 as well as OSX.
    Only thing is while cleaning the FX select buttons the point from one of the punch out chrome letters snagged on my cloth and pricked the hell out of my index finger.
    Also I accidentally put the USB cable into the CAT5 connector and cause the power box on half my condo to go dark. Carefull now...it's a lovely mixer and is so flexible i've mixed disco, house, techno, funk, and breaks from ipods/CDJs and laptop in one night.
    The faders can get pretty close to the faceplate and I've always kept mindful of that. I also seem to get more ear fatigue mixing in headphone on DB4 than the 92--don't really know why but I think it's my use of the delays and how damn bright and clean they are.

Quote Originally Posted by space monkey View Post
    I've had mine a good bit now and can't recall ever having any issues with it. Windows Vista and 7 as well as OSX.
    Only thing is while cleaning the FX select buttons the point from one of the punch out chrome letters snagged on my cloth and pricked the hell out of my index finger.
    Also I accidentally put the USB cable into the CAT5 connector and cause the power box on half my condo to go dark. Carefull now...it's a lovely mixer and is so flexible i've mixed disco, house, techno, funk, and breaks from ipods/CDJs and laptop in one night.
    The faders can get pretty close to the faceplate and I've always kept mindful of that. I also seem to get more ear fatigue mixing in headphone on DB4 than the 92--don't really know why but I think it's my use of the delays and how damn bright and clean they are.
    Thank you very much for your reply. Glad to hear your DB4 is working well. It's an incredible machine I'm sure and I'm looking to get one in April. Just worried about some of the lemons ppl are reporting...

I've had mine two weeks now, and whilst its not any amount of time to have fully experienced it's ins and outs, so far its been hassle free. I've yet to do a gig with it as i'm messing around with it still, but the effects are sweet!
    A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.

The only thing that annoys me on the DB4 is the EQ layout, the EQ section very high, pushed almost out of the mixer’s plate. Even the DB2 has it lower. Does anyone find this distracting?

I guess you cant have everything

Tech Mentor

I just got mine and if u see my threads, i was very confused as well. I wanted it for exactly the same purpose as you!
    On Mac, its rock solid, built really well, super easy to use, even the offset EQs are fine after just a few minutes of use!
    The sound, FX and filters are great, the input matrix is stellar. Its way more popular than ppl think it is, but its pricey so u dont see everyone carryone. I got a Xone K2 with it and now my rig is compact and super pro. I am still mapping the K2 to my needs. Even the DB4 midi shift is awesome!
    I would advise to buy used. U save a lot of money!
    I scored a made in UK one!

The only issue u might have is if u are running a USB3 computer. At least that what i read.
    Dont let the negative reviews scare you. Mine works great and i never bothered to come and write a review etc. Most ppl on forums are complaining about issues. Theres a whole lot more who are having a great time playing and not spending time online!
    Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by nynemusic View Post
    I just got mine and if u see my threads, i was very confused as well. I wanted it for exactly the same purpose as you!
    On Mac, its rock solid, built really well, super easy to use, even the offset EQs are fine after just a few minutes of use!
    The sound, FX and filters are great, the input matrix is stellar. Its way more popular than ppl think it is, but its pricey so u dont see everyone carryone. I got a Xone K2 with it and now my rig is compact and super pro. I am still mapping the K2 to my needs. Even the DB4 midi shift is awesome!
    I would advise to buy used. U save a lot of money!
    I scored a made in UK one!

The only issue u might have is if u are running a USB3 computer. At least that what i read.
    Dont let the negative reviews scare you. Mine works great and i never bothered to come and write a review etc. Most ppl on forums are complaining about issues. Theres a whole lot more who are having a great time playing and not spending time online!
    Best of luck!
    Thanks for your feedback. Much appreciated. Very happy for you

Im planning to buy a new one as Id like to get the warranty just in case.
    Saw this DB4 + K1 bundle in the UK at http://www.juno.co.uk/products/allen...one/494755-01/
    might give them a call and see if they have a demo unit and ask where its build.

I saw some new xone mixers have 'engineered in the UK' which Im not sure means made in the UK too...

Im running traktor on usb2 win7 laptop (with a TA2 atm) without problems but also thinking of getting XDJ 1000s to complete my new setup. Hopefully this will work well.

Cheers again for your positive comments. Have fun mixing!!!

It's a fantastic mixer, so much flexibility and so many options.
    The only thing that bugs me about it is that, despite having so many effects, you have to "select" an effect channel to control the timing.
    I mainly use delays and reverbs, and one of the most important parameters of both, for me, are the timing/size. The expression knob just controls feedback.
    Fixing stuff that isn't broken.

Tech Convert

Default Thinking about this too

Been using a VCI 400 EGE with Traktor for a few years and would really like to get a dvs setup with some technics. Just feel like I'm missing out.

Combining the DB4 with an x1 (or two) looks like a lot of fun but the price is prohibitive. I've got a quote for a new one for $2300. Even though that seems like a decent deal based on internet prices it's still more $ than almost any other mixer.

Is this thing still worth that much?

It looks like an amazing piece of gear but my reason for hesitation right now (other than price) is that most reviews/forum activity and discussion seems to have really tapered off. I don't want to pay "state of the art" prices for something that's been left in the past.

Tech Student

@safefire
    @DubluW
    @spacemonkey

Hey.

I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on the DB4 but having done more research and playing around on a DB4 in my local DJ shop I found these issues:

1. HPF/LPF when set to wild resonance have a noticeable bump in sound (and master meters) even when the track is playing at a low level. I checked this against the 92 and 42 filters and the analogue doesn't seem to produce this bump...

2. ISO mode feels so steep, that sometimes frequencies are already completely gone, whilst the knobs are not fully turned down, especially in the bass.

Also, I did more research and found this

Is this something that is common in all mixers?

Im also curious if AH will release a new 93/93C – if yes then when?
    Hopefully the sound cards will have no issues (I guess the test of 43C will tell).