CMD MM-1 Newb

Thread: CMD MM-1 Newb

Tech Convert

Default CMD MM-1 Newb

Hey guys, Just ordered 2 CMD MM-1s to replace dying M-Audio X-Session Pros.
    I've read a lot of posts about scripts to get visual feedback on the buttons, (which I'd love to explore in the future).
    For now I have the super frustrating issue of the buttons coming set to momentary right out the box which means that I can't use them for anything regardless of the software. Is there a quick way to remedy this?
    While I'm at it, is the process of scripting these things very difficult to learn?

The build quality of this controller seems great but this issue is keeping me from putting it through the paces to see if its a keeper.

Thanks for any help you can give me with this issue.

Cheers,

MagnetiC

Tech Guru

For now I have the super frustrating issue of the buttons coming set to momentary right out the box which means that I can't use them for anything regardless of the software.
    LOTS of software expects momentary input for buttons, and/or can accept momentary input and toggle the associated software function accordingly. That said, all you need to do to switch the buttons from momentary to toggle is to send the MM-1 the SYSEX message F0 7F 00 06 ** F7 - where **=01 for toggle mode and **=00 for momentary mode.

As for writing scripts for the CMD controllers, they're pretty basic and easy to support. The scripts supplied by Behringer are all open and easy to reverse-engineer. There is also a MIDI SPEC available to fill any gaps.

Cheers, and good luck!

Tech Convert

Default Thanks for the reply

nem0nic,

Thanks for the reply. I have been running around in a big circle trying to understand how this all works.
    Since I'm not using Ableton or Traktor, I don't understand where to begin with talking to this controller.
    I've used scripts written in Processing and other languages before, but it was just cut and paste and seemed to work.
    This situation is different since I can't find an agreed-upon front-end in which to interact. I went to the Python foundation site and the FAQs seem like they are written for people who are already somewhat familiar with the syntax and file management associated with this type of programming. Is there an easy place to point me for resources beside this one? I had hoped that the hex you sent me could be fed into a word processor, saved as a simple text file and opened in something like SysEx librarian, (I was wrong). I guess this is not entirely dissimilar to showing someone a webpage if it were in a folder, with resources and the HTML all separated out. Without an understanding of what the pieces do or even what to click to test them, it just looks like files in a folder.

What you described to toggle the buttons sounds pretty straight-forward I just down know how to apply it.

Any words of wisdom here will hopefully get me on the right path.

Thanks again in advance,

MagnetiC

Tech Guru

Your front end with which to interact with the CMD controllers is simple MIDI. That's it. For a simple thing like a function toggle, simply sending the SYSEX command via a MIDI editor like MIDIOX will work just fine.

sysex.jpg

If you want to do something more complicated, I can certainly help you with any CMD related info you may need.