New Controller Advices
    Tech Convert

Default New Controller Advices

Hi everybody, I'm a happy owner of a vestax VCI-100 controller, one of the best pieces of hardware ever in my opinion. I would like to change it, because It's pretty old. What I need is a PROFESSIONAL controller, with jogwheels and basic controls (I became from vinyl, old school mixing) and, very important, not so big (I often travel by plane, I will put into a UDG producer bag with macbook pro and audio8).
    I don't need 4 decks and loop section because I mapped a NI maschine mikro MK2 for this.
    What you suggest?

Thank you so much for your advices!!!!!!

Tech Mentor

S2 comes to mind. And maybe the something from Reloop, they have an excellent build quality. Good jogwheels as well. But darn, this shows how good Vestax was at compact, well built controllers. The VCI-400 is perfect for what you describe.

Tech Convert

Thank you for the answer! Vestax is the best controller... I've got mine since 7 years more or less. Fantastic.
    What about ddj-sb?
    I'm also thinking about moving from traktor to serato...

Tech Mentor

The SB is pretty limited. I don't know what kinds of things you need, but it certainly isn't professional. Then you'd have to go to its bigger brother, the SR. This is my weapon of choice. But it's not really compact, it's probably twice as big as a VCI.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

My question is, do you really need jogwheels?

Since you already have Maschine, you can pretty much map all your transport commands to it and just grab something like NI Z1 or Akai AMX to use as your mixer control.

Tech Convert

@Scalage, thank you!
    @Stewe, yes. I'm an old school dj coming from vinyl, I like so much the jog wheel feeling!

What controllers have you looked at?
    I can only speak for myself, but the Denon controllers are worth a nose at..
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

Tech Mentor

Denon! Completely forgot about those. Built like a tank.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by Scalage View Post
    Denon! Completely forgot about those. Built like a tank.
    For portability Vestax VCI380 or VCI400 would fit the bill nicely - so long as you are OK with there not being any real warranty anymore (personally I give more weight to the tools being what I want rather than the return policy)

Denons are definitely worth a look as is the DDJ SR, which I feel has the nicest jogs of the bunch.