Any tips from mixing house to drum and bass
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Any tips from mixing house to drum and bass

looking for some tips to mix house/Garage to drum and bass
    thanks

Well it's the usual genre jumping tricks mate. A good one is to find remixes in both genres/tunes that use the same samples and mixout at the breakdowns with some effects.

Simple example would be use echo freeze on the outgoing house track at the breakdown and slowly filter in the breakdown in the drum and bass track.

You could also loop a vocal on the house track and slowly pitch it up whilst shortening the loop and bring in the same vocal from the DnB track whilst lengthening the DnB loop. It's tricky but with some practice and smart effects and filter work it can sound quite good.
    A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.

jump to breaks first, then progress to DnB

Tech Mentor

Thanks for the tips I'll get practising

That's, generally, a pretty big BPM jump from House to DnB. The suggestion of Breaks is a good one. There's great housey breaks tracks that gets you to proper breaks which has a similar "aggressive" profile to DnB and gives you a few tracks to up the BPM.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

I'd bridge it with a lighter track that starts with no beat: Inner city life for example. You can fade out the slower tempo track into the pad sounds it starts with. Its a classic that people recognise so they will start thinking "Wait, is this Goldie? Awesome!". The beat/vocals start, you are now up to the tempo you want without anything jarring happening to the mix, and from there you can go into some more modern liquid funk, and build up to something a bit harder/darker depending on the vibe you are looking to take your mix into.

Switch over with something like Adam F - Circles, perhaps? HPF out the outgoing House track then just start the DnB track?
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Im a fiend for chunes that do interesting tempo changes in them.. So here ya go m8.

This chune is what i used exactly for goin from house/breaks into dnb.

https://soundcloud.com/pete-graham/m...em-pete-graham

Which personally btw doesnt work too well. even with this baller track. I would mix upto 140 then half time. work my way upto 85 then double time upto dnb.

I knew i had a good track for this somewhere.

Mixes well from the original and it's not too punchy for a DnB track.

A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.

Tech Mentor

thanks ! could anyone recommend good djs that do this I only know a few I watched zinc on the weekend and he was just switching up all set it was amazing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast