Ableton Mapping

Thread: Ableton Mapping

Default Ableton Mapping

So i've been trying for ages now. Can't get it to work.

I'm using ableton next to traktor with maschine plugin. Maschine software is operated by a Micro mk1. On top of that i have a F1 midi mapped to control effects. Everything is mapped in such a way that the faders and knobs control effect parameters and the pads turn on/off specific effect.

What i want now is that when i press a different pad, the faders (controlling parameters) change as well.

For instance: 1st pad = reverb
    2nd pad = delay
    1st fader = decay time reverb
    2nd fader = dry/wet reverb
    Now i press the 2nd pad, activating the delay. I want the 1st fader to now control the feedback of the delay and leaving the settings of the reverb the same untill i switch back again.

Anyone knows how to map this? Help is very welcome..

Tech Wizard

Hi Bauhaus,

If I read your post right, you have a track with various effect on it - reverb, delay etc
    and you want to control each device with the same set of faders based on whichever pad you've pressed.
    Is this correct?

If so, yes you can do this...but there's a couple of stages to it:
    First, you want a midi remote script which controls the first 8 parameters of the selected Device.
    That means your Faders will autmatically re-map as required. Most Midi remote scripts give you this functionality, the basic generic one has this functionality aswell as many of the free scripts available to download.
    Here's a DJ techtools tutorial on how to create the generic script to match your controller or the free script in my signature below has this functionality also.

Once you have your controller mapped you just need a way to change the current device.
    You can actually do this using Ableton's mapping mode.
    Go into mapping mode, click the title bar for your first device (reverb) then press the pad you want to assign to it.
    Do the same for other pad, come out of midi map mode and you should now be able to switch between the devices with the 2 pads.
    See the image below:
    mappingmode.jpg

One other thing,
    You'll probably want to set i.e. the reverb decay time as the first device parameter so you know that the first fader will control it when that device is selected.
    To do this, put your devices inside an audio effect rack and assign the decay time to the first macro control like in this pic:
    macro.jpg