Problem with volume level of monitor headohones
    Tech Wizard

Default Problem with volume level of monitor headohones

I posted this on djforums.com, but am wondering if anyone here has any advice.
    Hi,

I think I am having a problem with my headphones that I use as monitors. I am very conscious about not having volume too loud to not destroy my hearing. Right now I am using a hercules console rmx with Grado SR-60's as the monitors plugged directly into the deck. It does not sound like the headphones are ever particularly loud when I use them, but sometimes after DJing I get ringing in my ears, or a little bit of that pressure feeling. Now I never have this problem with the headphones when they are plugged into anything else, except for the deck. I am wondering if these are not the best headphones for this sort of thing or what. Does anyone have any suggestions with monitoring? It just does not make sense that the music does not seem too loud at all, quite reasonable in fact, but my ears still hurt sometimes afterwords.

THREAD RESPONSE:
    are the impedances matched of the headphone amp in the hercules and your grados?

you should probably use DJ phones, that isolate, instead of open ear hi-fi phones

MY RESPONSE:
    On grado labs, it says the headphones have a normal impedance of 32 ohms.
    The Hercules Console says it has a stereo impedence range of 16 to 64 ohms.

could be something sending a very high frequency that you can't audibly perceive? it's sort of a long shot but it could be. do you get headaches after a while? that could be caused by loud music in general, but if you say it was a reasonable volume, it could be super high frequencies.

sample out some of your friends headphones if you can and see if it changes. if it doesn't, it's probably the console.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition