Which mixer for a bedroom DJ: Xone 92 or Xone DB2? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    My current set up (when I have the time and space to actually set it up) is two SC2900s into a 92, which goes into my MOTU Ultralite Mk3 and then recorded into Audacity or Ableton, usually Ableton.

The sound is absolutely spot on so don't worry about that. It's about a thousand times nicer sounding than if I played the same tracks with Traktor.

Either mixer will be good. To be honest, I doubt you will notice much audible difference in quality either way so it really comes down to what one you fancy the look of most. I'll just say this: There is a reason so many DJs love the 92. Nothing wrong with the DB2 from what I've heard (never used one myself, just seen it in action) but the Xone 92 is one of the best DJ mixers ever made. It's made its bones a million times over and it's still going strong.
    Thanks for spelling it out. Really helpful.

On a side-note, is Audacity any sort of bottle-neck when it comes to the type of recording we've discussed? And if I go with the 92, is that MOTU going to be a little over-kill? Seems a little pricey. I suppose what would be helpful is to hear what the bear minimum I should look for when it comes to pairing a soundcard to the 92, at least when it comes to not wanting to bottle-neck quality (a common theme, I now :P)

Tech Mentor

Nah, Audacity is fine. And free. For purely recording a set both will do the job just as well. Ableton might have more to play with, and might even sound a bit better, but you're talking about 500 quid versus none.

As for the MOTU, if all you're doing is recording sets it probably will be a bit much. I mainly bought mine for production as it has lots of in and outs and is just a great interface. I also got mine as an ex demo so it cost me about half the price. I love it, and would be well tempted to buy another if and when this one gives up the ghost. I even run computer games through it and my monitors sometimes.

I don't really know too much about what else is out there. I bought mine when I got back into DJing and havent had to use anything else. In the past I just ran my crappy old Limit mixer into a tape deck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12