Looking for Soundcard and Mixer Recommendations
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Looking for Soundcard and Mixer Recommendations

Hey everybody,

I want to start using an external mixer when I mix. As I'm a college student, I'm on a budget. I've been looking at the Behringer DDM4000 and it looks like a pretty good mixer for the price.
    I've also been looking at sound cards to hook up to with the mixer and I've looked at the Native Instruments Audio 10 since I want to be able to mix all 4 tracks from my computer running traktor.

I'm looking for recommendations on possible cheaper alternatives to the Audio 10 for mixing 4 decks through Traktor.
    I would also appreciate any recommendations on alternatives to the Behringer DDM4000 that are around the same price range ($300-$500).

Thanks for the help!

personally look at other sound cards like the presonus and focusrite ones, this way they can double as production interfaces. also you may have an easier time selling them if you have to. for mixers, the ddm4000 is "functional" but behringer is not really known for quality. see if you can find a used allen&heath, maybe a vestax. I got my xone 62 for 400 used, and its still running in mint...

Tech Wizard

The Behringer DDM4000 is a hellish mixer, the volume faders only seem to respond from 90-100%, the FX section looks cool but is shit there's only 2 mabye 3 cool effects in there.
    The DDM4000 also feels like you will break it by even looking at it.

I agree with calgarc, Allen&Heath really are the best in my opinion, either a xone 42, 62, 82, 92, 3D, 4D(my favorite) will do.
    Otherwise korg got some very cool mixers nice sounding mixers, the zero4 and zero8 they go for any price so you just have to be lucky to find 1 for a good price.

DO NOT buy a native instruments soundcard, any focusrite/presonus/RME will perform better, also don't forget about AKAI, they don't look like they are verry good but those silver and red AKAI boxes sound like heaven.

I would say find yourself a XONE 4D, you get loads and loads of MIDI functionality, theres a 20 channel soundcard build in for all your sends/returns/channels, and best of all it has 2 of the legendary A&H filters with LFO.
    Love it when it all comes together.

For your budget, mate, i would not hesitate to buy:

1xDDM4000 4-channel mixer
    1xZOMO MC-1000 4-channel sound card AND 4-channel controller

You will have a lot of fun with only those two items.

http://www.dv247.com/dj-equipment/zomo-mc-1000--213266
    http://www.dv247.com/dj-equipment/be...j-mixer--56786

I have used, and loved, both.

This:

Quote Originally Posted by Tada Tadam
    The Behringer DDM4000 is a hellish mixer, the volume faders only seem to respond from 90-100%, the FX section looks cool but is shit there's only 2 mabye 3 cool effects in there.
    The DDM4000 also feels like you will break it by even looking at it.
    ...is just not true. I had zero problems with mine. It is by far, the best mixer (fun vs. features vs. cost) you can get for the money.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Guru

I like the sound of the Focusrite 2i4, but it lacks the outputs to be a four channel solution. I have one for production, and single track recording - the unit has two inputs, but I only have one good mic. Other Focusrite offerings are worth looking at.

The Behringer FCA610 ($200 street price) is a reasonable choice for an entry level sound interface that can drive four channels. The USB connection does require the external power supply, and that is annoying but not a deal breaker for me. The unit was well built, had a solid feel, and reasonable features. The sound quality is better than you would expect for $200.

I sold the FCA610 when I bought a used Denon X1600 with a built in sound interface. I really like this mixer, but it is likely out of your budget, unless you find a steal on a used one.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

1xDDM4000 4-channel mixer
    1xZOMO MC-1000 4-channel sound card AND 4-channel controller
    A zillion % agree ... for under $400 you can buy the pair and have complete control over every feature in traktor AND have external mixing capability AND have a bloody good soundcard.

If you upgrade your mixer in the future, you can still use the ZOMO for midi control / soundcard

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    A zillion % agree ... for under $400 you can buy the pair and have complete control over every feature in traktor AND have external mixing capability AND have a bloody good soundcard.

If you upgrade your mixer in the future, you can still use the ZOMO for midi control / soundcard
    I second that
    But, keep an eye out on Denon X1600 mixer as soundinmotiondj said. I recall seeing here a sale thread for 450$ which is a steal
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    I like the sound of the Focusrite 2i4, but it lacks the outputs to be a four channel solution. I have one for production, and single track recording - the unit has two inputs, but I only have one good mic. Other Focusrite offerings are worth looking at.

The Behringer FCA610 ($200 street price) is a reasonable choice for an entry level sound interface that can drive four channels. The USB connection does require the external power supply, and that is annoying but not a deal breaker for me. The unit was well built, had a solid feel, and reasonable features. The sound quality is better than you would expect for $200.

I sold the FCA610 when I bought a used Denon X1600 with a built in sound interface. I really like this mixer, but it is likely out of your budget, unless you find a steal on a used one.
    I use an 18i8 scarlett in my studio, i use splitter cables to slit the headphone outs to L/R mono outs for my podcast. in the driver control panel you can set those as seperate outs...

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I've checked out the Denon DNX1600 and found it a couple places for under $500.
    Most of the Xone 4 channel mixers seem a bit out of my price range, unless I can happen upon a used Xone 42 for a good price. I'm still considering the DDM4000, although it seems to be a bit of a mixed bag.
    If I were to get the DNX-1600, would not having my own external soundcard be a problem when i was playing out at places where I probably wouldn't be bringing my mixer along, such as a club, be a problem?
    Or would there be any other downsides to having a mixer with a built in soundcard?

Also if I can find a used NI audio 8 for a good price ~$150, is it actually worse than other soundcards available at that price range?

Quote Originally Posted by dimhof View Post
    If I were to get the DNX-1600, would not having my own external soundcard be a problem when i was playing out at places where I probably wouldn't be bringing my mixer along, such as a club, be a problem?
    Or would there be any other downsides to having a mixer with a built in soundcard?
    Correct. That is the only downside. But a cheap seconhand Audio 2 (for 2 ch mixing) in the future will solve that problem.
    Advantages of a mixer with built in sound interface are abillity to sync mixers efx to the bpm, easy routing of channels, less cables (for example, i only have 3 usb cables to plug between my 4 piece setup)

Quote Originally Posted by dimhof View Post
    Also if I can find a used NI audio 8 for a good price ~$150, is it actually worse than other soundcards available at that price range?
    It's a great sound card, i don't think you will find anything better for that price (unless you plan on using it also for music production).
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast