Good Feels

Thread: Good Feels

Thumbs up Good Feels

I've sort of been on the outskirts of music production for while. I got into Ableton as a side project from DJing in traktor, and for months and months all I did was learn lots of technical things and tinker with random tidbits in Live, more or less just being stunned at the technical possibilities.

I played piano when I was really young and through learning Ableton over the last year or two, I've been picking it back up, and learning to finger drum too.

I'll spend hours getting lost on the internet, trying to learn about things like compression and scripting in M4L, watching tutorials about a gazillion badass things and over time I've gotten to be pretty technically capable but I don't really make a lot of music.

I've got pretty terrible ADHD and whenever I set out to execute on an intention, it seems like my brain does the opposite of what I tell it to and I somehow end up spending all my time doing a bunch of other small things which seem like they add up to nothing. It can be kind of a downer at times honestly, because I'm fairly intelligent, but I'm constantly thinking about one thing while doing another, and I pretty much always feel busy, even though I don't have that much to do.

So today I set out to prepare for a presentation I have to make tomorrow about using private annuities in estate planning (yes, I'm serious). And I figured while I worked on my powerpoint, I'd record some vinyl into ableton and maybe work on warping and sample chopping for a bit, because I got the general idea but hadn't really spent much time actually doing it.

4 hours later, I had massively improved my warping technique, found these two really dope loops in a random Linda Clifford LP I bought for $2.99 the other day, and chopped the loops down into 16 pads and mashed out some pretty funky hiphop beats on them. I took the time to set things up exactly how I want them and made a slicing preset for future use so that I can do this kind of thing more often.

I know that's not anything terribly impressive or unique, and some of you probably chop samples literally ALL the time, but it was a great experience for me.

Everything just came together in a really nice way, and it felt like all of the little skills I picked up from my endless distractions were actually becoming meaningful somehow and it kinda made my day.

Also for those of you worrying on my behalf, I don't have to present until 6:30 PM tomorrow and I don't work because I'm in grad school

TLDR:

I'm terribly scatterbrained and today I shirked all my responsibilities and spent a bunch of time practicing chopping samples, and it was good.

Tech Wizard

4 hours later, I had massively improved my warping technique, found these two really dope loops in a random Linda Clifford LP I bought for $2.99 the other day, and chopped the loops down into 16 pads and mashed out some pretty funky hiphop beats on them. I took the time to set things up exactly how I want them and made a slicing preset for future use so that I can do this kind of thing more often.
    Nice! that's what it's all about

Same story here, probably I spend most of the time experimenting with sounds and learning stuff on ableton. I feel like I am going nowhere in music production as I got nothing made to be honest, or the ideas sounds like a big sample or a failed try at making something. Recently I have started reading this stuff at makingmusic.ableton.com, short reads but really good information and advice.

Hey Kazkox,

I appreciate the reply and I'm definitely on the same page. I actually came here to post a link to that because I thought you had linked something else! Good suggestion, definitely appreciate it. Hopefully they'll have more copies of the full book for sale soon, I'm sure it's a great read.