Korg Kaoss DJ video review!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Korg Kaoss DJ video review!

Hey all,

I just picked up a Korg Kaoss DJ, and realized that there are very few reviews on these controllers (I was actually only able to find one since the unit was actually released). I figured now would be a better time than ever to make my Youtube debut!

I also decided to do something a bit unique, by actually suggesting what I would do with the controller if I could design a version 2.

Please let me know what you think! I'm happy to answer any questions you have about the controller

Last edited by Aaron Benjamin; 04-02-2015 at 08:18 PM.
    Aaron Benjamin
    soundcloud.com/djaaronbenjamin
    facebook.com/djaaronbenjamin

Tokyo/Toronto

I like your review, seems that you are spot on with suggestions. However using the Pioneer I can see why you would want those extra features. Looks like a unit designed for part time DJ's, beginners or for use in the house rather than in a pro capacity, How accurate are the jog pads? They seem pretty sharp. The sync button is definitely in the wrong place.
    Last edited by DJAdeSands; 04-03-2015 at 06:20 AM.
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Nice job! Little suggestion: don't record vertically, most of the screen is just black space when viewing it on anything else than a phone.

Lol that thing looks like a little toy I figured Korg would do a little better on the design.

Quote Originally Posted by DJAdeSands View Post
    I like your review, seems that you are spot on with suggestions. However using the Pioneer I can see why you would want those extra features. Looks like a unit designed for part time DJ's, beginners or for use in the house rather than in a pro capacity, How accurate are the jog pads? They seem pretty sharp. The sync button is definitely in the wrong place.
    Thanks!

I totally agree with you. If Korg implemented my suggestions, they would elevate the controller from a basic unit to more of a pro-level controller. The problem is, the controller as it is kind of falls within a grey area, because it's definitely not right for beginners. Learning how to beatmatch manually on this thing would be an absolute nightmare. I think the real selling point to the unit is the Kaoss FX pad (which I didn't dedicate enough time to--I know), and its portability for mixing on the go, or at smaller parties. I realize that by modifying the controller further, it might have to exceed its $300 price tag, and I'm OK with that (though if this thing exceeds $400 dollars, I think it will be a dud, because the build quality simply isn't there). There's just too much competition in the same range...

Jogs are fairly responsive, but you don't get as long or fluid of a scratch as you would with a typically jogwheel. I think they're very good for what they are.

Play/cue position definitely needs to be changed. I have no idea what Korg was thinking there...

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Nice job! Little suggestion: don't record vertically, most of the screen is just black space when viewing it on anything else than a phone.
    I know, I'm an idiot. Sorry about that. I had no idea that would happen when I was recording the video. I will make sure to record horizontally from here on out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    Lol that thing looks like a little toy I figured Korg would do a little better on the design.
    Design is not bad IMO. It's just a bit TOO small, and it really does feel like a toy. With that said, they have added some really cool features like lit knobs and the side-lit EQ lights. If they made this thing 20% bigger it would still be very small/light, but would feel a bit more substantial.
    Aaron Benjamin

Tokyo/Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by eggy View Post
    Design is not bad IMO. It's just a bit TOO small, and it really does feel like a toy. With that said, they have added some really cool features like lit knobs and the side-lit EQ lights. If they made this thing 20% bigger it would still be very small/light, but would feel a bit more substantial.
    Yeah Korg is usually legit, I just saw how small it was and it kinda threw me off lol.

Schalenberg

I just saw how small it was and it kinda threw me off lol.
    That's what she said. I had to.

Yeah Korg is usually legit, I just saw how small it was and it kinda threw me off lol.
    Honestly, I was expecting it to be around the same size as my 13" MBA, so it definitely threw me off too.

Quote Originally Posted by Schalenberg View Post
    Beat me to it.
    Aaron Benjamin

Tokyo/Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by Schalenberg View Post
    10/10

Posted the video review on Korg's official FB page and got this response:

"That was an awesome review Ten59! We're going to make sure the product development team sees your video. Thanks for being a Korg fan!"
    Aaron Benjamin

Tokyo/Toronto

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast