Ableton 9: Standard vs Suite
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Ableton 9: Standard vs Suite

My trial on Ableton is up, so it's time to pull the trigger and purchase Ableton live. I have no idea which version to get. I've read the comparisons on Ableton's website, so I know that you get more instruments, packs, and toys with Suite.

I'm pretty new to Ableton. I have worked with other programs in the past, and I understand the basics, but I haven't mastered them yet.

My question is, will all the extra toys be worth it? Will they just end up collecting dust on my hard drive while I learn how to produce?

I have upgraded from live to suite because it has maxforlive (similar to reaktor), more plugins and stuff... I am experimenting and playing around with sounds a lot and suite has it all. Check some youtube videos on what instruments and toys can do on suite.

I got Standard and wish I had suite. I'd like to get a hold of Analog and the sampler. I've never touched Max4Live though, I have a lot of 3rd party VSTs so it's not really a struggle

Tech Wizard

I have Standard and wish I had Suite as well, but tbh I've made it work fine.

Suite's nice. A lot of people talk about M4L, which is nice, but not nearly as stable as Reaktor. The convolution reverb is really nice though. You also get a lot of packs which can be nice to promote some ideas, but overall are unnecessary and I find I rarely use them after getting more comfortable with production.

The big prize to Suite to me is Sampler and everything it offers compared to Simpler. It's so powerful when you start getting into it.

But you do get a lot more things that may also prompt creativity. I personally think it's worth it, but it might take you some time to actually realize the depths of what you're getting.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet View Post
    Suite's nice. A lot of people talk about M4L, which is nice, but not nearly as stable as Reaktor. The convolution reverb is really nice though. You also get a lot of packs which can be nice to promote some ideas, but overall are unnecessary and I find I rarely use them after getting more comfortable with production.

The big prize to Suite to me is Sampler and everything it offers compared to Simpler. It's so powerful when you start getting into it.

But you do get a lot more things that may also prompt creativity. I personally think it's worth it, but it might take you some time to actually realize the depths of what you're getting.
    I'm not so worried about the packs either. The instruments are what intrigues me. It looks like if I have suite, the only thing that would be holding me back is me.

All in all, if you can afford Suite, get Suite.

/thread

Suite is worth every penny. The amount of free devices and instruments available for M4L easily pays for itself 10x over.

Tech Mentor

sampler is legit. that thing has some serious fire power that can lead to some really creative results.

analog and operator are also amazing synths.

but any instrument can be good if you really spend the time with it and master it.
    Technics 1210 / Pioneer plx 1000 / Xone 42 / Adam a3x / UA apollo twin / Maschine mikro / Ableton live 9 / Maschine 2 / MBP Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015

Tech Wizard

I decided on suite. I kept trying to find a way to justify spending the extra 300 to get the extra toys. I figured that if I was serious about it, then I should either go all in or go home. Thanks for the help and input guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast