Notes from an asipiring DJ

Default Notes from an asipiring DJ

I am not a developer by any means but have an idea I would like to put out there and this seems like a decent place to start. What I am looking for is a programmable remote control that interfaces with a music app. I am surprised being unable to find anything resembling this given the all the possible uses. I am dedicated to listening to music and constantly sort and organize while listening. I listen to music while on the move and having the ability to simply tap a button to place a bookmark within an audio file would be immensely useful. I end up running through a large amount of audio data (recorded internet streams) of which there are certain parts I would like to hear again, while the rest I wouldn't mind only hearing once. The task of going back to certain parts seems prohibitively tedious without the ability to tag them in real-time while in the context of a composition. A corded or wireless remote that has the usual play/stop, next/previous track, volume up/down controls but also a button or two in addition programmable with the key function being able to plant these bookmarks; with an app written to recognize these extra buttons, either as a stand alone audio player or simply one that reads information from the native player and transcribes information into a text file. This data would then be exportable to a computer as an audio editing guide. Additional functionality would be the ability to place different types of bookmarks while listening, essentially being rudimentary notes, such as start or ending a section or simply to qualify it in some way.

One other idea I have that is less mobile related is a way to organize audio files based on a tag system, not using the ID3 tags but layers of individual searchable tags as in del.icio.us bookmarks or other tag cloud systems. That way you wouldn't have to scatter individual songs to a one category in a hierarchical structure. As you listen to your music and tag them with these one-word descriptions, categories would then organically take shape. You could then use this tag cloud to dynamically build playlists on the fly via searches for files matching certain words while filtering others. This would be a simple, yet extremely powerful tool for aspiring DJs, inspiring creating cohesive musical experiences. But maybe a music manager such as this already exists?

Tech Mentor

download the Rekordbox iOS or Android app. you can add memory points to the music you import into it, then plug your phone into your laptop, import to computer and voila your cue points are stored in the file ready to be used on CDJ2000's

your other idea of tags to describe tracks is also in Rekordbox 3. and you can search & sort by any tags you give files

great to hear about Rekordbox; I look forward to figuring it out and great that it's free. Although, the ability to have a remote with a button that can place cue marks every time it's pressed is still unresolved. It is prohibitively cumbersome to interact with a touch interface every time creating a cue while bicycling. Does anyone else have this problem? Who wants to start a kickstarter campaign??
    Last edited by jdbrms; 04-17-2015 at 02:12 AM.