Help with mapping pioneer ddj-sb to traktor
    Tech Mentor

Default Help with mapping pioneer ddj-sb to traktor

I'm having trouble trying to understand how mapping the knobs on this thing works. Normally, I just select my function, press learn, and move the knob on the controller and it all works fine. This one is kind of odd though. The knob seems to have 2 different actions possible when trying to map it.

What I mean is that, when I move the knob, it will show Ch05.CC.36, but when the knob is stationary, it registers as Ch05.CC.38. It's like there's 2 different commands, but I can't seem to get them to work. When I register it to one of them, the knob in traktor just jumps all over the place.

I've tried setting it to relative mode, trying to register it as a button or encoder just to see if that works, nothing. Just jumps like crazy or doesn't respond at all.

Now I downloaded a pre-made mapping to start, and everything worked except the FX section. The way they mapped their other knob sections was odd though. It had 2 components in the learn section, like "Ch.something + Ch.something". No idea how to do that but perhaps that's the solution?

I used traktor a fair bit from 2010-2012 or so, so I'm not exactly new to it or mapping. Perhaps it's the new patch or something or? Is this how knobs are mapped nowadays with multiple actions or? I've been out of the DJ scene for a bit.

Help!

Edit:

Done a fair bit of reading on this and it seems to be mentioned in other websites but no solutions posted. I think I just don't know how to map this properly, I don't believe it's a flaw with the product or some traktor patch error or something.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Yup, seems nobody knows it

I've tried to help with this controller before but never actually got there with fully functional mapping... My guess is, that controller has some native controls within Serato so those signals can't be properly addressed in Traktor.

But only a guess
    I don't have that controller to confirm a real state.

Tech Mentor

Hmm okay. I managed to find a different near fully functional mapping so that'll do. The native controls with Serato could be the issue. Regardless..whoever did these mappings figured it out at least so good enough. Thank you.

Yep. Turn the vinyl mode off and try mapping again. Sensitive jogwheel will have this effect while mapping, I had that exact problem.
    Another way is to go through the table and see what has that same CC value. Disable it, and remap that command at the end.
    Last edited by DJAdeSands; 04-25-2015 at 11:58 PM.
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

I have a DDJ-SP1, behaves the same way. I don't have any information on why or how that works. As long as I turn the knob until Traktor reads both CC values, as you noticed in the map you're using, it works fine. Sometimes it's tricky to get just right.. I'll have both values displayed and then, just as I go to turn off learn, it'll jump to one or the other. I'll just do it again until I get both values to stick.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DJAdeSands View Post
    Yep. Turn the vinyl mode off and try mapping again. Sensitive jogwheel will have this effect while mapping, I had that exact problem.
    Another way is to go through the table and see what has that same CC value. Disable it, and remap that command at the end.
    Good points, will try that out. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by frankiefilth View Post
    I have a DDJ-SP1, behaves the same way. I don't have any information on why or how that works. As long as I turn the knob until Traktor reads both CC values, as you noticed in the map you're using, it works fine. Sometimes it's tricky to get just right.. I'll have both values displayed and then, just as I go to turn off learn, it'll jump to one or the other. I'll just do it again until I get both values to stick.
    Hmm interesting. How did you manage to get both to show at once though? They would never appear at the same time, they would constantly switch back and forth, even when I keep fiddling around with it.

For me, when I learn a knob on the SP1, it shows both values initially but switches to one if I turn the knob too far. If I keep turning the knob, it'll switch to two again, then back to one. It seems to be very touchy around the points where it switches and not predictable at all. As I said, sometimes I have it just right and then it suddenly jumps to one of the single values. The SP1 requires that you alter the internal settings of the controller (firmware?) for use with software other than Serato. I looked at the SB manual briefly and don't see anything like that. Perhaps AdeSands is onto something. Only other thing I can think of is, make sure the firmware is current and possibly reinstall the driver..??

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by frankiefilth View Post
    For me, when I learn a knob on the SP1, it shows both values initially but switches to one if I turn the knob too far. If I keep turning the knob, it'll switch to two again, then back to one. It seems to be very touchy around the points where it switches and not predictable at all. As I said, sometimes I have it just right and then it suddenly jumps to one of the single values. The SP1 requires that you alter the internal settings of the controller (firmware?) for use with software other than Serato. I looked at the SB manual briefly and don't see anything like that. Perhaps AdeSands is onto something. Only other thing I can think of is, make sure the firmware is current and possibly reinstall the driver..??
    Interesting as well. Will have to try that method out. I'm not sure what's the deal with it but it is a tad unnecessarily complicated. At least it's a good controller! Thank god, because if it wasn't I wouldn't even bother with all of this ha.

Sounds unusual to have to adjust the firmware or driver of a pioneer controller just to use it with something other than serato. I'd be of the firm belief that the SB would be fully midi compliant, and fully mapable to traktor, therefore a driver ain't gonna be the issue. The firmware update (if available) would be worth a shot, incase an issue has been identified in this respect.
    You guys probably already checked this, but are there any other controllers or devices attached to the computer when you are mapping? And are you plugging in via external usb hub?
    I still suggest that the touch pad on the platters are to blame, find and clear this particular control, and at least you can rule it out if it doesn't work. Otherwise it's gonna melt your loaf..
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.