Does cable brand and gauge really matter?

Default Does cable brand and gauge really matter?

Hey guys, i just got a pair of Mackie mr8 mk3s and my s4 is on the way. I plan on connecting them via 1/4" balanced but was wondering if the brand and gauge of the 1/4" cable are important enough to shell out extra cash? Thanks to all that reply!

personally i would get cables that can be soldered... this way you can fix them.

also with cables you get what you pay for. i personally like hosa and mogami cables... hosa is relatively cheap, although my instrument cables are custom made.

Tech Guru

For mic or signal cable, there are three conductors. These are "balanced" cable connections. The wire gauge is not really critical. Having a quality rubber jacket will help the cables flexibility, the ability of the cable to lay flat on the floor, ease of wrapping it up, and overall longevity.

The ends of the cable are "mechanical" connections. It is worth paying more to get more. Between about $2 and $5 per end is about right. Anything less, and quality is suspect. Anything more, and you're getting more marketing than anything. Neutrik and Switchcraft both make high quality ends.

I have used "discount" cables from GLS for years with good results. These are more than reasonable for "casual" use by a mobile DJ. I would not recommend these for a production company. If you are not running 50+ gigs a year, these are a great value and will last for years.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/mer...agb_mic_cables
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Wizard

i'm using Oyaide Neo d+ series, not cheap but sounds great

^Crazy money.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

26 GBP for 3 meter pair of TRS-XLR D+ class B balanced cables looks not so crazy)

Tech Wizard

purple and orange ones, yes - expensive. but this series have RCA versions only
    Last edited by antexxx; 04-23-2015 at 03:10 PM.

Tech Wizard

If the cables are balanced (TRS or XLR), it does not matter what brand you use. Just get something affordable. If they're unbalanced (TR or RCA), try to get the shortest length you need and decent thickness. Unbalanced cables need shielding from interference and noise, whereas any noise picked up by a balanced cable will be cancelled out at the balanced input.