CDJ1000MK2 - Relevant? How? (Help Please!)
    Tech Student

Question CDJ1000MK2 - Relevant? How? (Help Please!)

I would like to switch from my traktor S2 to using serato dj and get new hardware that allow me to practise at home and get a feel of industry standard equipment. I could get second hand battered CDJ1000MK2 with DJM800 for a steal. Just a couple of hundreds for the whole set.

My questions are, is it stil relevant if i'm aiming to play in a club and to use this battered CDJ100MK2+DJM800 set strictly at home for practising? And do i need any external accesories like sl2/3 to connect to my macbook to use it with serato?

Last edited by techy; 04-23-2015 at 01:28 AM.

Tech Convert

The DJM-800 alone is worth the couple hundred that you'll spend on the whole set!

i can't comment on the CDJ-1000's as I haven't used them, but if you start using a DJM-800 you'll be comfortable mixing on any Pioneer mixer (or any other mixer). You'll also get use to Pioneer's effects.

Yep, if you want to use Serato DJ you'll still need a Serato compatible sound card like a SL box or this new Denon DS1 http://serato.com/latest/blog/17973/...cing-denon-ds1

Tech Wizard

Yeah you will definitely need a Serato box(SL 2 or 3) and Timecode CDs to use Serato on that set up.

Of course. I learned on CDJ 800s using cds. I then jumped into DVS and use timecodes with Traktor on the 800s. This allowed me to learn how to use both setups. I just take a USB to the club for my sets now and have no confidence issues with the newer players. After a few gigs on newer players you'll be pretty universal.

I did the exact thing, had an S2, then bought some Technics but swapped them out for some Pioneer CDJ 1000 MK2's as more and more bars/clubs I were playing at had a CDJ set up. I don't regret it one bit and has helped a lot, When I do my radio show I use timecode's with Trakor scratch, it makes it easier, but do now and then burn CD's and just use those. Go for it I say.
    x2 Pioneer CDJ 1000mk3, NI Kontrol Z2, x2 Kontrol D2, Traktor 3, MacBook Pro & MacBook Air 2018

I'm actually wondering the same thing as OP! Although my situation is a tad different, I do want to learn universal "brand name" club gear. More-so I want to learn how to manually beatmatch by ear using strictly cds & knowing the music. Who else has done this in the past in order to get better at mixing? Also, the cdj-1000mk2 or cdj-1000mk3s for strictly CD Djing?

Quote Originally Posted by djucon View Post
    I'm actually wondering the same thing as OP! Although my situation is a tad different, I do want to learn universal "brand name" club gear. More-so I want to learn how to manually beatmatch by ear using strictly cds & knowing the music. Who else has done this in the past in order to get better at mixing? Also, the cdj-1000mk2 or cdj-1000mk3s for strictly CD Djing?
    I did this. Then I upgraded my home setup by getting Traktor Scratch Pro so I can mix without swapping CDs and having access to wave forms if that's what you're into. Essentially it's the same as using Rekordbox. I just did this because I wasn't financially ready to buy CDJ 900 decks simply to plug in USB sticks. So Traktor at home for song organization, and USB with Rekordbox on the road.