175BPM to 110BPM???

Default 175BPM to 110BPM???

Can anyone explain how Featurecast has remixed this track, and taken the tempo down from 175BPM to 110BPM, while keeping the feel of the track very similar?

Original is here:

I'm sure it's just some clever chopping an re-arranging, but I'd love to know how to do it!!!!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

i guess he just used the sample and pitched the tempo from 88bpm to 110bpm?
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

^^This. I'd also say the original is somewhere between 86.9x and 87, in case that is helpful to you for any reason.

No, guys - there's much more going on than that.

I think he's warped the original at it's normal BPM (175 - Dn'B, remember!), then chopped the hits/notes into individual samples, turned warp OFF for the individual samples, and arranged them at 110BPM with "dead air" between the notes.

Some notes are doubled/tripled up to fill the dear air...

I think I've figured it out???
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy

Not claiming to be correct but, this is my take on it..
    He sampled the guitar and sped it up, then sliced it up and rearranged a few bits to make it more rhythmically interesting. Other than that and the vocals, I don't hear any other elements from the original. Also IMO, for all intents and purposes, that's 87bpm with the drums being played double-time.

Tech Wizard

^ Yea I think he just sampled the semi-naked guitar riff at the beginning, sped it up, and redid the rest - casting it in a funky rhythm beat with 1/16th HH and a few off 4s on the kick. I'm not even sure the vocal shoutouts are original.

Tech Wizard

The guitar in the original is definitely not 175, so I think the above is correct.
    Running: MB Pro quad 2.8, 4gigs ram, Traktor Pro with latest update, S4, F1(may return in favor of coming m3dpro!

No.

No-one EVER claimed D n' B was 87bpm. C'mon fellas - you've heard D n' B. Do you think Roni Size or LTJ Bukem would describe their muis as XXbpm w/double-time drums, or XXXbpm music???

This is a Dubstep argument - NOT Drum & Bass!

In proper drum notation of a "double time groove", 1/4 notes become 1/8 notes, 1/8s become 1/16s, 1/16s become 1/32s. In this drum pattern, 1/8 note snare hits are being played on the "&" of every beat, not 1/4 notes on beats 2 & 4.

If you were to give a band sheet music to play this song, the tempo would be noted as 87 and the drum part would be written as described above. Everybody in the band plays at the same tempo, regardless of genre.

Check out the video below. This is a great demonstration of tempo remaining constant as the count of the groove changes, altering the listener's perception of the tempo.

https://youtu.be/IEBlo_dIycY
    Last edited by frankiefilth; 05-05-2015 at 11:25 AM.

By the way, I'm not trying to argue with you about genres and such. Rather, simply offer an alternative way to look at the specific example you've inquired about. Keep in mind, the remixed version contains very little of the original song. You may as well not be concerned with the drums at all and throw Dn'B right out the window. Then what are you left with? The guitar is the key element and it's being played at 87bpm, regardless of context, which is much easier to compress to 110 than it would be to stretch 175 to 110. That's all I've been trying to say.