compact 2 channel controller

Default compact 2 channel controller

Hi

I'm looking at getting a small compact controller to plug into my laptop. I'm not aspiring to be the next big thing, this is purely to mix tracks for my own enjoyment, so I don't want to spend a lot of cash. I had originally looked at the Kontrol Z1 which is exactly what I'm after with regards to size and function. But the lack of transport controls makes it pretty useless for me, unless I buy an X1 too. But if I do that I may as well buy an S2, which is doubling the cost and makes a less compact setup.

Anyway. I've seen the Akai AMX which pretty much looks like a Z1 with added transport controls. I know this runs on Serato but with regards to software choice I'm not fussy, Traktor or Serato will be fine.

So. My question is... Will the Akai AMX be enough on its own to do basic 2 channel mixing off my laptop without having to touch the mouse / trackpad all the time? Or does anyone have experience with this (micro) setup who would warn me against it?

Many thanks

A&H K2 would probably do the job, plenty of mappings around for it as well.

I have the Z1/X1mk2 setup as my track-to-track portable option and although it is larger it works extremely well OTB.
    Last edited by frankle; 05-02-2015 at 04:19 AM.
    Main Gig Comp - MacBook Air 11" 1.3GHz i5, 4GB, 512GB, OS X 10.12.6
    Gig Gear - TSP 2.6.8 & 2.11.2, Kontrol X1mk2 (x2), D2 (x2), S5, Xone:92, Xone:PX5, CDJ-2000 (x2), DDJ-XP1 ... Rekordbox DJ 5 with a few packs ...
    Plenty of studio gear and not enough time ... and a few Nexo PA systems

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by frankle View Post
    A&H K2 would probably do the job, plenty of mappings around for it as well.

I have the Z1/X1mk2 setup as my track-to-track portable option and although it is larger it works extremely well OTB.
    I'd second that. Have played with one and it would be the best option in my opinion.
    Running: MB Pro quad 2.8, 4gigs ram, Traktor Pro with latest update, S4, F1(may return in favor of coming m3dpro!

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

AMX is also cool. I use it for smaller parties with addition of BASE controller. You can find the mapping I use with Traktor available at MAPS section.

This is the mixing page layout, pressing the "PANEL" (main/FX toggle) button switches the layer of control for encoders and buttons. Plus unique crossfader filter-fade mixing tool.

Grab it here: https://maps.djtechtools.com/mappings/4397

Tech Wizard

I second the Z1/X1 combo. It's smaller than an s2, because you get rid of the jog wheels. It also gives you options if you ever work in a club, because you can use something you are familiar with (the x1) with their mixer.

Another option would be the Reloop Beatpad. It's a midi controller, so it can be mapped, and is pretty compact. It's designed to be used with an iPad.

I actually just made a K2 all-in-one mapping I can send you if you go that way!

- 2 Deck Mixer: With Volume & 3 Band EQ + Kills
    - 2 FX Banks with Dry/Wet and Full Parameter Control
    - Transport: Play/Pause, Sync, CUE, Cue Monitor On/Off
    - Beat Jump +/- 1 or 4 Beats + Tempo Adjust
    - Looping + Track Scrubbing

The K2 is VERY well built and has an audio card, will buy another when this one shits.
    Pioneer XDJ-RX//Rekordbox & Ableton Push 1//Ableton 9 Suite
    15" MacBook Pro 2017//Quad Core i7 @ 3.1GHz//16GB RAM//1TB SSD//AMD 560 4GB GPU