Buying 2:nd hand push controller??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Buying 2:nd hand push controller??

Hi everybody,

Been interested in producing for over 20 years but never took the leap, except a mc-303 groovebox 10 or 15 years ago that I played with. Now i'm considering a push to play with within ableton (which I never have tried by the way). So I thought that if it's not for me, I can always sell it without any significant loss. I have no clue where to start so there's a few questions.

If I buy a used push controller, is the software included somehow, like a serial/cd in the box?
    Other things to think about?

Thanks..

Push only comes with Live 9 Intro, which is pretty limited.

You'll want at least Standard, if not Suite.

Push is a fantastic controller for Live and would be a great way to get into production if you think Live suits what your production workflow should be. Buying used is a good, safe way to get into it.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Tech Mentor

I loved my Push but felt fooled by the promotion videos I watched online... they make it look like you can make a track without touching the laptop which just isn't the case unless you use the built in kits.

Almost all of the videos would have had extensive prep work and if you want to use 3rd party stuff like Komplete (or even just have better control over the built in tools) then get ready to start editing source files.

The Push is capable of an awful lot, but does so much less and it now relies on the community edits to give it better functionality and with it not being native functionality it's unreliable.

I sold it months a go so at time of writing it may have been improved. When I sold it I was able to transfer the licence to the new user, but it only comes with Intro which is rubbish anyway.

All being said it's a beautiful well built bit of kit with amazing composing and sequencing capabilities but felt like it wasn't the device to sit down and get serious making a track as you'll spend more time with the mouse which is much quicker than scrolling through menu's on the push to get to certain things... it felt like a quick idea and jamming tool (quick if you use the pre-prepared kits, otherwise you'll spend some time making your own)

Actually, Komplete is the one third party set of tools you can use with the Push without using the computer. Load times are slow as hell, but some guy sells a script that allows you to browse everything in Komplete via Push and use Push to control the different things - you might want to change some of the defaults, but it's there.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet View Post
    Actually, Komplete is the one third party set of tools you can use with the Push without using the computer. Load times are slow as hell, but some guy sells a script that allows you to browse everything in Komplete via Push and use Push to control the different things - you might want to change some of the defaults, but it's there.
    I used this but found it still has a very static workflow.. if you stick with the default sounds it's great, but I love tweaking sounds and building up my own sound bank library and also have a lot of 3rd party libraries more specific to the music I make, these additional sounds aren't plug and play so again it's back to the mouse... and it's $20 for a function that should be built in.

I bought one and financed it. 30 quid a month. I have wasted that on takeaways, so it's not a problem.

Great tool.

I bought Live 9 Suite and PUSH on eBay for £450.
    Mainly use it to play in key on my hardware synth and to get away from the mouse for other things, like playing in live from my drum machine, etc.
    I'm still exploring it. Just getting to grips with the automation with it.
    Loads still to learn, but ANYTHING beats making music clicking a mouse.

i have a push, love it...but you wont hear me complain about using the keyboard and mouse.. to me the push is optimal for the writing of the music..while the keyboard and mouse are optimal for arrangement and editing. i cant picture a device/s that would be more convenient for arranging and editing than the mouse.

and yah id be prepared to spend on a full version of ableton... the lite version is useless.
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Agree with the rest, had push for a while and still used the keyboard and mouse. Mostly missed the sampling-control but I reckon the new Push 2 has solved that. Ill probably get one when the start showing up used.
    Push 1 is still great for drum and melody sequence, and of cours effect control!
    -------------------------
    2x Technics 1200 mk5, Ecler nuo 3.0.

Tech Wizard

I just picked up a brand new push 1 for $375 new. I've seen them go for around $300-350 used.

I absolutely love it so far. As others mentioned its great for getting out ideas very quickly and getting the base parts to a song down. While you won't use it to create a complete song, the workflow is incredibly intuitive and much more inspiring then just clicking around on the screen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast