Help with Cables
    Tech Student

Default Help with Cables

Hey guys not sure if this is right place to post buy anyway.. I tend to find myself acting as a "dj" at family and friends party's, well lets say music guy far from an actual dj atm lol...anyway I have decided to get some pa speakers instead of using a hifi.

After doing some research on speakers decided on 2x Alto Ts110a powered speakers, don't need them mega loud as they are only for small home/garden party's.
    These are the speakers -http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201107777110

Now onto the cables abit after doing abit of research im kinda confused lol.. I understand I need a XLR cable to link both speakers together, I don't plan on using a mixer yet so want to plug my laptop straight into the speakers, I read it is possible as they are powered, But im confused with what cable to use to link the laptop straight upto the speakers without using a mixer.

These are 2 cables I have found but not sure if they are the right ones or what would work?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351074829574?var=620300640947

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380301194729 - do I need to put both the black and red 1/4 into both input on a speaker or just 1 and what colour?

I would save yourself the trouble. go to musiciansfriend/guitar center etc and look for packages. they usually have sweet PA packaged on sale with everything you need.

for small garden parties i prefer using CUBE amps from roland seeing as they can power almost anything. their street model is perfect, and runs off battery as well. all you need then is a simple AUX cable to run from your soundcard to the amp. usually a stereo 1/4 to 3.5mm or a guitar cable (if running in mono)

correction... the new model uses stereo 1/4 so a 1/4 Y cable should work if running stereo from your laptop to the line in

Tech Mentor

You only need 2 cables to make it work. You need 1 XLR cable that would connect speaker to speaker. The other cable would be that 3.5mm to 1/4 cable. Out of the laptop into the speaker 1/4, out of the speaker XLR into the other speaker XLR.
    Last edited by dj matt blaze; 05-11-2015 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dj matt blaze View Post
    You only need 2 cables to make it work. You need 1 XLR cable that would connect speaker to speaker. The other cable would be that 3.5mm to 1/4 cable. Out of the laptop into the speaker 1/4, out of the speaker XLR into the other speaker XLR.
    providing the speaker is powered...

Tech Wizard

The one you are looking at is powered. How DJ Matt told you how to do it should work. Another way to hook it up would be to go 3.5mm to 1/4inch, then use a Y splitter, and hook into the speaker using 1/4 inch cables. The specifications for the speaker you listed says it has a combo xlr/1/4inch female inputs, so you can use either xlr or 1/4 for your cables.