A&H Xzone 92 blew up.Fuse didn't blow NNNNightmare

Default A&H Xzone 92 blew up.Fuse didn't blow NNNNightmare

Hi.

So yesterday my friends Xzone popped & smoke came out of the PSU. The fuse was still intact and the power surge protector didn't blow. Is that not the whole point of power surges?? It just gone 2 years old and "was" in great condition... In fact this Xzone has never left the house only for couple gigs in local bar.

The sun was out yesterday (I'm in Ireland so we make most of it!!) so we decided to do a pop-up in our skate park which we have been doing for least 8 years. We have large 3000 watt generator. Never been a problem before... Notting else blew. It was only plugged in for about 5mins max. We even did continue with Native S4mk2 just to cheer us up a bit!

Do you think if replace the PSU that the mainboard will be ok?

Why did this happen? Should the fuse etc not have saved this from happening??

Anyone give some feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Tech Mentor

My Xone 92 gave me problems. In the trash.

LOL Think I'll try to fix first. There still €1799.99!! Anyone any idea though how it happened? Is it possible no earth coming from the generator? It has been used several times before

Well if it blew smoke and the fuse didn't blow the issue is between the fuse and the mixer. However I suspect the fuse is for the AC (input side) of the mixer and not the DC side (output) of the power supply. I don't know what type of power supply the used in that mixer if it was a linear or switching. Switching based supplies tend to do that more often than a linear supply.

As long as the failure didn't over volt or short something out in the mixer section its safe to say a simple repair or power supply replacement will fix the issue. The latter being the best option.

Next time you fire up the generator put a volt meter in the same circuit as the dj gear and monitor the voltage. Look for dips in line voltage or fairly irregular voltage swings. The surge protector might only cutoff above a certain + voltage and not cutoff on a voltage dip or the possibility the AC line voltage was within spec of the protector but the voltage swings just taxed the DC regulator side of the mixer too much and caused the failure.

You can tear up stuff just as easy with too low of voltage or not enough amps supplied to gear as well.

Thats about the best technical explaination I can give you and something to think about the next time you go on generator power.

Aaron
    Last edited by djlightning; 05-17-2015 at 10:16 AM.
    MIXCRATE - Mixify

2 1200's - A wall of wAx - SSL - DDJ-SX

Quote Originally Posted by djlightning View Post
    Well if it blew smoke and the fuse didn't blow the issue is between the fuse and the mixer. However I suspect the fuse is for the AC (input side) of the mixer and not the DC side (output) of the power supply. I don't know what type of power supply the used in that mixer if it was a linear or switching. Switching based supplies tend to do that more often than a linear supply.

As long as the failure didn't over volt or short something out in the mixer section its safe to say a simple repair or power supply replacement will fix the issue. The latter being the best option.

Next time you fire up the generator put a volt meter in the same circuit as the dj gear and monitor the voltage. Look for dips in line voltage or fairly irregular voltage swings. The surge protector might only cutoff above a certain + voltage and not cutoff on a voltage dip or the possibility the AC line voltage was within spec of the protector but the voltage swings just taxed the DC regulator side of the mixer too much and caused the failure.

You can tear up stuff just as easy with too low of voltage or not enough amps supplied to gear as well.

Thats about the best technical explaination I can give you and something to think about the next time you go on generator power.

Aaron
    Sound that kinda explains things! It wasn't my generator. I do have my own one & power meter (wished I'd checked) Lesson learnt!!! I will pass this info onto my m8 much appreciated. Hopefully replace PSU & everything will work again! ;-)