Looking for advice for buying first DJ Setup
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default Looking for advice for buying first DJ Setup

Hey guys, I've been using my midi fighter with Ableton Live for a while now, posting my soundpacks here, but I'm looking to try out some more DJ stuff.

This is what I do now,

I want to be able to do things like this but still "traditionally" DJ with it as well.

I'm looking for spend around $400 max on a new controller or two and need something small yet powerful. I like the idea of small and modular so using some of the NI controllers like the X1 comes to mind. Problem is, I have no idea where to even start. Thought maybe a MF Twister but not sure how well those play with tractor so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Kloosless View Post
    Hey guys, I've been using my midi fighter with Ableton Live for a while now, posting my soundpacks here, but I'm looking to try out some more DJ stuff.

This is what I do now,
    Nice job.

Thought maybe a MF Twister but not sure how well those play with tractor so any advice is appreciated.
    I have a MF Twister. In Traktor I use it as the step sequencer for a remix deck. I like the MF Twister in that role. The accents that can be added to a mix are really nice. I pair it with a S2 for most of my gigs. That gives me control of two decks + a remix deck (the 4th deck just sits idle) in a format that I'm REALLY comfortable using.

In Ableton, I have experimented with a Mad Zach mapping that makes it a "super controller" for whatever knobs are highlighted at the moment. It's interesting, but I have not gotten familiar enough with it to really take advantage of the capability.

I presume you have seen Ean's "How I Play" video, with how he incorporates a MF 3D, MF Twister, and a pair of X1s into his setup.

Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Wizard

Do you have a mixer or will you need one? I know its a bit out of your price range, but a used s4 mk2 with the TP2 serial might be a nice option for you.

It'll give you Traktor pro and a nice controller you can dj with.

My advice is to take it so do lots of research or you can wind up being a gear whore. You may wind up with stuff you'll never use that you thought you would. I have a couple of simple items in my collection, a few controllers an a deck with jog wheels just in case I get the urge to spin the wheels of steel lol which I do. Im also a software slut with two DJ programs because I like being able to have an option. My rational for having all this stuff is that one will be portable (although they are both portable) and the other setup is strictly for home practice. Being here on DJTT is the best thing you could do hopefully we'll save you lots of money and pain. What are you using for a laptop Mac or PC is it up to specs for new hardware that you want to get. BTW nice video I'm liking your tunes. Edit I see youre using a Mac so I guess yore good in that dept
    Last edited by bc6; 05-20-2015 at 03:23 AM.
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    Nice job.
    I pair it with a S2 for most of my gigs. That gives me control of two decks + a remix deck (the 4th deck just sits idle) in a format that I'm REALLY comfortable using.
    Thanks! That sounds pretty awesome, maybe I'll go with a Midi Fighter Twister (which I already want) + an S2?

I presume you have seen Ean's "How I Play" video, with how he incorporates a MF 3D, MF Twister, and a pair of X1s into his setup.
    Yeah it was super dope.

Truth be told, I'd rather go with something like a pair of X1s rather than an S2 but I still need a mixer then don't I?

Quote Originally Posted by TVM View Post
    Do you have a mixer or will you need one? I know its a bit out of your price range, but a used s4 mk2 with the TP2 serial might be a nice option for you.

It'll give you Traktor pro and a nice controller you can dj with.
    Thats not a bad idea but I can get Tracktor. If I were to go the mixer route + controllers what mixer would you recommend?

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by bc6 View Post
    What are you using for a laptop Mac or PC is it up to specs for new hardware that you want to get. BTW noce video I'm liking your tunes.
    Thanks! My mac should be able to handle anything I throw at it.

Favorite piece of hardware?

Why not simply just get a mixer, you can get some sweet deals on a used xone. or go with the "simply functional" behringers, I would not invest too much seeing as you may not like that setup down the road.

you can always have the MF wired to a channel in the mixer and use the other channels for DJing.

Tech Wizard

An S2 would be any easy way to get deck control and a mixer. I found a really good price on eBay on an s4 as well. I've been pretty happy with it. I was originally going to go with an s2 and use an f1 for remix deck control. I find I almost never use more than 2 channels.

For my backup and travel setup, I have an X1 and z1 that I use. This is super easy to just throw in my Dj packpack when I'm going on a trip or know I'm going to just need something simple for a gig. This setup cost under 400 on eBay as well. If I had gotten this setup first, I might not have even gotten the S4.

Tech Guru

Truth be told, I'd rather go with something like a pair of X1s rather than an S2 but I still need a mixer then don't I?
    I use the S2 because I had one on hand...and I've been using it (and the VCI-100 before that) for years.

As a potential mate to the X1's, look at the A&H Xone K1 or K2 as a potentially portable "mixer." There are four channel faders, with a ton of buttons and knobs. Sound interface is optional, depending on the model you get.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Wizard

I use the S2 because I had one on hand...and I've been using it (and the VCI-100 before that) for years.

As a potential mate to the X1's, look at the A&H Xone K1 or K2 as a potentially portable "mixer." There are four channel faders, with a ton of buttons and knobs. Sound interface is optional, depending on the model you get.
    The k2 looks really cool. If you were to map it right, it would be a great 4 channel mini mixer that you could add to your traktor setup. After seeing that, I would go with a k2 and an X1. I also mix with the volume faders and never use the cross fader.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast