S2/ S4/ VCI-100SE Buying Advice

Default S2/ S4/ VCI-100SE Buying Advice

First post: I'm new to djing and electronic production in general and want to buy a controller. The options I'm looking at are:

VCI-100 used at $130 then to add in arcade mod at a then cost of about $200 all said.
    S2 used at around $210 from what I see mostly.
    S4 used and I've passed on a few random auctions putting it at $300

I'm leaving out the MKII monikers here but the principle is close when using DJTT mappings.

So my question is what will give me a good path to foundational knowledge and also support the larger series of software features while being as future proof as one can here. I'm only learning, so performance and travel are less concerns here. Software packages are also not a concern here. Is Flux Mode supported in the latest VCI mappings? Is the S4 just overkill to start when I can have that support with extra pushing of buttons on other custom mappings on the other controllers? There is an added desire for controllerism in the future to go with my APC 40 and Ableton I've gotten also here.

I would leave the VCI-100 aside.
    The s2 is a really good product to start with. But for me the lack of a filter per channel is really a shame.
    The s4 is a good all around package with plenty of room for you to develop.

If you're serious about the idea, go for the s4 if you have the money.
    Take the s2 is you want a good controller without investing too much. You won't be disappointed but know it has some limitations.

As a side note, know also that routing different audio channels into ableton with an all in one controller isn't a very good idea. Just saying.
    Last edited by Yul; 05-23-2015 at 02:32 AM.
    Latest mix

There’s also an almost hermetic community that exists in many areas of dance music, where serious hobbyists feed off each other’s expertise but barely connect to the industry – despite many of those involved actually working in it.

Ableton and the APC will produce. The controller is for Traktor. Basically just covering the two sides of electronic production/ performance. The attraction to the VCI is based on it's controllerism user community. The S2 seems only equally capable at the same price. As for the S4, it is likely more than needed from a beginner standpoint I had been thinking, and obv keeping costs down is preferable to me.

Also, with VCI-100 you need a separate sound interface
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Oh yeah, forgot I mention that the sound card is a moot point right now as I'm not using a laptop. It's a built Mac for this purpose. All audio is going through it. If and when mobility happens I would pick up a solid interface externally anyways for rock solid reliability. Probably the 4i4 Focusrite.