posting your mixes online
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default posting your mixes online

Hey

In 21st century I'm not really sure if handling a CD to someone is the best option. I don't even have a cd player. Yeah sure the computer's drive... but that is so old school. The only use I can think of a CD is in someone's car... my car has a USB reader anyway.

So I thought instead of spending money on cd with a nice label, I will print really nice presentation cards with an URL to where the promotor can listen to the mixes.

What do you think?
    Do you thin the old way of always having some sessions on cd in your bag wherever you go is still a valid option?

Anyway, if you had to post your mixes online, where would that be?

P

Tech Mentor

Soundcloud is/was really nice for posting mixes up on the web. They're still very nice if you're willing to pay a bit of money, which I know I am. It's also fairly easy to set up your computer as a server, which would allow you to host all of your work from your home, though it requires a little extra work. I personally think the extra work is worth it, as it gives you infinite options for customization.

Also: buying a bunch of cheap thumb drives or SD cards and handing those out with mixes or an album's worth of tracks would be pretty cool.
    I'm not good at things, but I like to pretend I am.
    :Project-Segfault:

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

If you want to go the business card route it's not a bad idea. But I still have promoters tell me they want CDs cause they listen to music in their cars.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    Soundcloud is/was really nice for posting mixes up on the web. They're still very nice if you're willing to pay a bit of money, which I know I am. It's also fairly easy to set up your computer as a server, which would allow you to host all of your work from your home, though it requires a little extra work. I personally think the extra work is worth it, as it gives you infinite options for customization.

Also: buying a bunch of cheap thumb drives or SD cards and handing those out with mixes or an album's worth of tracks would be pretty cool.
    Thanks for the advice, I'll check that website.

Setting up a host server at home is too much work. We don't even have a static IP...

Maybe I'll just post it at my online server, but I'll have to design some page and put some flash player.

BTW the idea of buying a bunch of memories is not bad at all. They will always remember me because a usb stick is a like a lighter, it always moves around.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    If you want to go the business card route it's not a bad idea. But I still have promoters tell me they want CDs cause they listen to music in their cars.
    Yeah... I supose I should have some cds too...

I don't intend to make it big or anything as DJ'ing is just a hobby for me but I put my mixes on soundcloud, mixcloud and youtube.

Soundcloud and Mixcloud get barely any listens in comparrison to my youtube uploads. I get more comments on Youtube too. I don't even have a video of me mixing just a logo or picture for the mix. People who have videos of them mixing in their room or where ever seem to get many many many more views and comments than i do.

I don't know if you'll get anywhere with youtube videos though, as youtube is alot more casual. But you never know. My mate who producers electro has all his stuff on youtube and he gets people asking for the tracks to play in their sets. So maybe it works better for producers.

Obviously you're probably not gonna wanna give promoters a youtube link though, they might not take you so seriously :P So maybe this is a bit useless :S
    The Prime Directive - Electro, Disco & House
    My SoundCloud account: www.soundcloud.com/the-prime-directive
    My Design & Animation Website: www.mintyfreshdesigns.co.uk

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nicklebe View Post
    I don't intend to make it big or anything as DJ'ing is just a hobby for me but I put my mixes on soundcloud, mixcloud and youtube.

Soundcloud and Mixcloud get barely any listens in comparrison to my youtube uploads. I get more comments on Youtube too. I don't even have a video of me mixing just a logo or picture for the mix. People who have videos of them mixing in their room or where ever seem to get many many many more views and comments than i do.

I don't know if you'll get anywhere with youtube videos though, as youtube is alot more casual. But you never know. My mate who producers electro has all his stuff on youtube and he gets people asking for the tracks to play in their sets. So maybe it works better for producers.

Obviously you're probably not gonna wanna give promoters a youtube link though, they might not take you so seriously :P So maybe this is a bit useless :S
    Well... I could give them the URL of my site and post there the youtube videos... but can you post 1 hour mix on youtube?

Tech Mentor

I don't think you can, which is why soundcloud used to be so awesome. there was no limit on how long a track was as long as you only uploaded 4 or 5 a month. Now you have a 2 hour limit on all the tracks you upload. (thats 2 hours total. i.e. you can have two 1 hour mixes up at a time.) Some of the paying accounts on SC are still pretty nice, though.

And yeah, I'd love to put a mix up on YouTube and maybe record me doing it, but my webcam is on the same computer as Traktor, and I don't know if I trust the machine to do both at the same time. >:|
    I'm not good at things, but I like to pretend I am.
    :Project-Segfault:

How about these? Not really "online", but can contain info and/or mixes. i've seen a few artists lately release their albums on flash usb drives.

http://www.flashbay.us/219?keyword=u...Fchn5QodfnSIpw

or

Business Card CD's

http://www.discwritecd.com/cd-busine...uplication.htm
    Last edited by Bodega Brad; 11-12-2009 at 04:56 PM.

I would go with soundcloud and a wordpress site. for ease, use blue host and get your domain through them. the 1 click wordpress set up takes away a lot of the hassle.

I'd also have demo cds in the bag. bird in the hand and all that...
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast