Pumping up the crowd

Default Pumping up the crowd

So Im working on my playlist for the prom this friday I've got requested songs in the set as well as other filler songs. Im not really sure how to play them should I play the songs from smallest bpm to biggest bpm. It sounds like that would be the way to get the crowd pumped up. Oh by the way I'll be co-dj'ing I have the first 3 hours and he has the other 3 hours so I want to leave the crowd in a hyped state for when he takes over. Sorry for the noobish question but this is my 2nd time DJ'ing lol.
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

I think it's worth paying attention to the content of the track, its energy level or if it's a more laid back record for example, in addition to the BPM. To put that into context, I usually DJ for about 5 hours at a time so I will "peak and trough" throughout the night which is pretty simple for me as I play multiple genres in one sitting.
    I might start with some downtempo/Deep House stuff, lift it to club remixes of chart stuff, then drop into some RnB/Rap, I'll follow that with some Rock/Punk tracks, then go into some slower Ibiza style 90's classics and wind it up through the genres and BPM's to the point where I'm banging some drum & bass on. In the last half hour I'll drop the tempo again to finish them off coz the club owner doesn't like a massively hyped up crowd spilling onto the streets when he shuts. That, and variations thereof, is what works with my crowd.

Obviously the difference for you is that want them hyped when you hand over the DJ baton and I also suspect you won't be fitting as many genres into your set as I have to, but the principle is the same. Just don't forget to grin your face off while you play because it's fun :-)
    Live rig: Denon Prime (5000M's)
    Retired: Denon x1700, Denon SC3900's, Traktor, Technics SL1200's, my vinyl
    Wish list: Some Roland Aira stuff.

What kind of music are you mostly playing, or is it a bit of everything?
    SC - WS

Don't play a pre-planned tracklist. Just don't.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

^ Ya, that never ends well.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by daviedavedave View Post
    What kind of music are you mostly playing, or is it a bit of everything?

I'll be playing a bit of everything cept for house techno. It'll be top 40, bachata (domican music) some older items classic bangers. I have some emergency songs for just in case. I may flip the set around if I get in trouble we'll see lol.
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

Bc6, put a shitload more tracks in your crate than you will actually need. Be prepared to swap some tracks out super quick that aren't going down so well.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Bc6, put a shitload more tracks in your crate than you will actually need. Be prepared to swap some tracks out super quick that aren't going down so well.
    I did exactly what you suggested (great move) and I thought it went pretty good. I didnt hear any complaints on monday although the night got off to a slow start. Once I got into the mix it seemed to pick up, so all in all I'd call the night a success for my second time dj'ing.

Cool!

do what the pro's do... youtube your playlist i was at my sisters wedding about a year ago and I requested a song and had the DJ play it off youtube... granted it was one of my tunes lolol