PA Help

Thread: PA Help

Tech Student

Default PA Help

Hi guys,
    Long time DJ Tech Tools user, first time poster.
    My buddies and I are setting up a dance music event and when looking at renting PA we were given two totally different suggestions.
    the room is 1932 sq ft with some of it sectioned off for a stage and backstage area. we're expecting around 100-150 people.

the first place (Guitar Center) suggested we go with two active QSC K10s (10 inch 1000-watt powered speakers) and a 15 inch powered sub (can't remember what it was).

The second place, a local small business, suggested 4 12 inch Apogee passive speakers with a fat amp, and 4 15inch powered subs.

Basically we need something loud, but we'd love to do it affordably.

There will be house, trap, and dubstep playing, so bass is definitely important

Ideally if all we need is the two k10s and a sub, it would be awesome, but I learned playing in a rock band when i was 16 not to blindly trust every guitar center employee, although that's a story for another day.

What would you guys use in a room that size with that many people?

thanks a lot

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by WolfLA View Post
    the room is 1932 sq ft with some of it sectioned off for a stage and backstage area. we're expecting around 100-150 people.
    That's a reasonable sized space for the expected audience. That's not quite "standing room only" but it is close.

the first place (Guitar Center) suggested we go with two active QSC K10s (10 inch 1000-watt powered speakers) and a 15 inch powered sub (can't remember what it was).

The second place, a local small business, suggested 4 12 inch Apogee passive speakers with a fat amp, and 4 15inch powered subs.
    Both are reasonable suggestions....depending on content and expectations and your desire to converse with local law enforcement.

Basically we need something loud, but we'd love to do it affordably.

There will be house, trap, and dubstep playing, so bass is definitely important
    There is NO way that a single 15" sub is going to "pin your ears back" in a space that size for dustep content. That said, odds are good that the four top & four sub setup will be overkill.

Adding a second 15" sub to the K10's would go a long way toward meeting "teenage" expectations about music. It will also all but guarantee you a visit from the local authorities.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Go with a pair of K12's and two KW181 subs. That's my suggestion at least.

Basically you want something that's going to be able to push the sound - especially with low end dance music. An 18" sub will be able to do that and give people that "feeling" to the bass. 21" is better - but those are much harder to come by. Given some brands specialize in more powerful drivers (neodymium) but that's not really going to be the case here.

For dance music I like to think of subs to tops as almost a 2 to 1 ratio. You don't want more top end than low end. Rent an extra sub and you'll be happy you did it.

Honestly I'd generally contact some of the local wedding DJs in your area, or even some nightclub DJs (many of them have small PA's) and see if you can get a decent rate from them. You're probably going to get a lot more bang for your buck that way.

We run 2x KLA12's, 2x KW181 subs in one room, and for a smaller room we run 2x KW153's on their own. Bigger nights we bring in more subs to pair with the KLA12's and run the KW181's under the KW153's. I like the way the 3 ways sound - but they are big and bulky. We use a single K12 for monitors for each room - though I've seen them do wonders on their own as tops.

I like QSC stuff. I think it sounds clean - and that's the most important thing. You might get more volume from the alto stuff - but it will be more muddy. Your call.

End of story: Personally I'd go with the QSC stuff. See if you can rent the KW181 subs, and see if you can get two subs either way.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Bassline Brine View Post
    Go with a pair of K12's and two KW181 subs. That's my suggestion at least.

Basically you want something that's going to be able to push the sound - especially with low end dance music. An 18" sub will be able to do that and give people that "feeling" to the bass. 21" is better - but those are much harder to come by. Given some brands specialize in more powerful drivers (neodymium) but that's not really going to be the case here.

For dance music I like to think of subs to tops as almost a 2 to 1 ratio. You don't want more top end than low end. Rent an extra sub and you'll be happy you did it.

Honestly I'd generally contact some of the local wedding DJs in your area, or even some nightclub DJs (many of them have small PA's) and see if you can get a decent rate from them. You're probably going to get a lot more bang for your buck that way.

We run 2x KLA12's, 2x KW181 subs in one room, and for a smaller room we run 2x KW153's on their own. Bigger nights we bring in more subs to pair with the KLA12's and run the KW181's under the KW153's. I like the way the 3 ways sound - but they are big and bulky. We use a single K12 for monitors for each room - though I've seen them do wonders on their own as tops.

I like QSC stuff. I think it sounds clean - and that's the most important thing. You might get more volume from the alto stuff - but it will be more muddy. Your call.

End of story: Personally I'd go with the QSC stuff. See if you can rent the KW181 subs, and see if you can get two subs either way.
    I came in here to post the exact same as what is mentioned here (except for having that much equipment depth ha). I recently bought a pair of K12s and a KW181 which do fairly well for the size room your describing but lack the low end that I want.

So a pair of K12s and a pair of KW181s would be my suggestion. My local place rents the KW181s for $75 a night. And don't forget monitors too. Nothing worse than playing the night without being able to hear what your mix sounds like.

EDIT: Keep in mind this is going to be a LOUD setup especially at the end of the night when levels get jacked up (cause they always will). If the space your describing is a dorm/apartment or something then the police will be breaking it up.

Honestly overkill is better then not enough..... In my experience it's easier to turn volume down then go beyond what it can do...

4 15" tops 2 outside ones turned a little lower then 2 inside ones... 4 2x18 bass bins and should be reasonable.... Your going to want to double your tips for bass... Also I'd strongly suggest sticking to 18" regardless of what anyone says a 15" sub just doesn't have the air movement you'll require...

Currsently for my live rig I am looking at 2x mackie srm2850 and then 2x ev zlx-15p

I don't know if I will use in conjunction it's my alto 2x15tops and 2x15 bottoms ideally would prefer to part with alto rig and switch over to new setup maybe offset cost some...

With my current setup I can easily rock a 90x70ft open room with 300+ however when it comes to electronic music it is not nearly powerful enough for my liking even when I add in my 12"ev subs it just doesn't create the right feel for it

Quote Originally Posted by ZxZDeViLZxZ View Post
    Honestly overkill is better then not enough..... In my experience it's easier to turn volume down then go beyond what it can do...

4 15" tops 2 outside ones turned a little lower then 2 inside ones... 4 2x18 bass bins and should be reasonable.... Your going to want to double your tips for bass... Also I'd strongly suggest sticking to 18" regardless of what anyone says a 15" sub just doesn't have the air movement you'll require...

Currsently for my live rig I am looking at 2x mackie srm2850 and then 2x ev zlx-15p

I don't know if I will use in conjunction it's my alto 2x15tops and 2x15 bottoms ideally would prefer to part with alto rig and switch over to new setup maybe offset cost some...

With my current setup I can easily rock a 90x70ft open room with 300+ however when it comes to electronic music it is not nearly powerful enough for my liking even when I add in my 12"ev subs it just doesn't create the right feel for it
    Your suggesting 4 2x18s? So 8 18s? 4 15" tops maybe but that sounds like a bit overkill to me for bass.

Depends on area really.... 2 15" top per 2x18 sub is normally a good balance between low end and top end... This all also depends on what kind of power each is pushing...

We ran a 500cap venue with 4 2x18 and 4 15" tops and it was about as perfect as can get for sound yes it was loud but it wasn't over the top loud

Sorry may of been more like 500-750 cap venue

I was gonna say... that's A LOT more than 100-150. ha If you pushing that much sound to 100-150 people then I want an invite. lol