Residential Solar?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Residential Solar?

What are your opinions on having a solar system installed on your home? Has anyone on the forum done it? What was your experience?
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

We have 4 panels on the roof hooked up to the hot water. Saves us a lot on the electricity bill.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Solar Water Heating?
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Its popular here in Aus to have your hot water system run from solar power.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

I was referring to Solar for electricity and powering your home.

i spent one year living in a house powered completely by solar, with a gasoline , backup generator. so i have some experience..

solar is best used as a supplement power source, unless you can really live minimalist style. Going on the fact you hang out at DJTT im guessing your electrical draw is on the high side. trying to power everything might be a little challenging for a beginner, but anything is possible. i know a guy that creates so much electricity that he actually powers his whole house and pumps power back INTO the grid, and gets paid for it, although his set-up is exceptional and wouldn't be easy or cheap to set up or maintain.

-there are also a lot of issues arising from the inverter that can make for static, ground hum, etc, that can make it difficult with musical stuff...this drove me crazy

-depending on how many cloudy days you get, the gas for the generator can cost as much as an electric bill...

one last thing to consider is that creating solar cells is very demanding on the environment despite being considered a "green" energy. unfortunately in a lot of cases , the panels themselves require more energy to produce , then they can ever put out in their lifespan.

im not trying to seem anti-solar at all, because im not, but its important for people to understand that its not without its downsides, and to research and proceed wisely.

**on a side note ive also had a house with a solar hot water heater, and it was amazing.**
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Nice. I work for SolarCity, so I was trying to get a feel for random expectations. We offer both solar lease and solar financing to homeowners. OUr customers have the choice to use either the grid or battery backups for storage. The average home only uses around 700-900 kWh, so it is very easy to get all of your power from a solar array.

we used batteries for backup as well, but with literally everything from the plumbing to the refrigerator being powered by the sun, in upstate new york... we ended up using the generator a bit, especially in the winter.
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

What part of upstate are you in>?

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Deejaesnafu View Post
    i spent one year living in a house powered completely by solar, with a gasoline , backup generator. so i have some experience..

solar is best used as a supplement power source, unless you can really live minimalist style. Going on the fact you hang out at DJTT im guessing your electrical draw is on the high side. trying to power everything might be a little challenging for a beginner, but anything is possible. i know a guy that creates so much electricity that he actually powers his whole house and pumps power back INTO the grid, and gets paid for it, although his set-up is exceptional and wouldn't be easy or cheap to set up or maintain.

-there are also a lot of issues arising from the inverter that can make for static, ground hum, etc, that can make it difficult with musical stuff...this drove me crazy

-depending on how many cloudy days you get, the gas for the generator can cost as much as an electric bill...

one last thing to consider is that creating solar cells is very demanding on the environment despite being considered a "green" energy. unfortunately in a lot of cases , the panels themselves require more energy to produce , then they can ever put out in their lifespan.

im not trying to seem anti-solar at all, because im not, but its important for people to understand that its not without its downsides, and to research and proceed wisely.

Interesting… never heard about the static/hum problems before!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast