Best headphones for producing?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best headphones for producing?

So I'm (probably) finally getting my act together and going away to school after a year and a half of not doing what I should be. Given where I'm going to be living--in a dorm or in a tiny apartment--I can't bring everything I'd like to with me. Specifically, I wont be able to bring the stereo I use with me that I use to produce the basslines in my tracks.

So really I need a pair of excellent headphones with great bass response. I don't want to say money is no object, but I know I'm looking at spending a couple hundred dollars.

(It's also worthwhile, though sad, to point out that I'll have to give up DJing for those months that I'm away at school )
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Tech Wizard

beyerdynamic dt100 are kind of an industry standard, they aint too expensive either. i have a pair and love them.

the gadget show (tv prog in uk) did a top5 headphone thing ( http://fwd.five.tv/gadget-show/video...p-5-headphones ) and the winner was the denon ahd5000's but they cost alot of money!

What are you gonna study, mate?
    I used to link music in my signature but nowadays I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ian3dge View Post
    beyerdynamic dt100 are kind of an industry standard, they aint too expensive either. i have a pair and love them.

the gadget show (tv prog in uk) did a top5 headphone thing ( http://fwd.five.tv/gadget-show/video...p-5-headphones ) and the winner was the denon ahd5000's but they cost alot of money!
    Alright thanks, definitely check those out. What do the different resistance ratings (ohms) mean as far as I'm concerned?

Quote Originally Posted by janzak View Post
    What are you gonna study, mate?
    I don't know. Last year I was an English major and I wanted to be a teacher. But I really have no idea any more.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Lambox View Post
    Alright thanks, definitely check those out. What do the different resistance ratings (ohms) mean as far as I'm concerned?
    The lower the ohms, the easier it is to be driven. For example, if you are going to mostly use a pair of headphones w/ a portable mp3 player, or your laptop, you will want a lower ohms rating. Once the ohms rating gets too high it requires a good headphone amp to drive your cans so that you can hear the full range of sounds they are capable of reproducing.
    DJ Setup: Traktor Pro 1.2, VCI-100 SE, Audio Kontrol 1, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro, Dell Inspiron E1505
    Other: MC-909, MC-505, Ableton Live 8, Reason 3, ReCycle 2, Traktor DJ Studio 3, BCD2000, Yamaha KX25, Radium 49, Korg nanoKONTROL
    Check out my tech-house mix on Soundcloud: Trickin' Out Tha Bird

I have rhe Allen & Heath Xone: XD-53s for DJing and they have a ton of bass and are some of the best headphones out there, they are designed for DJing but i plan to use them for producing too along with my trusty Sony MDR-V6s (light weight and more comfortable).

Sennheiser HD 25-II
    The ones I've got. I love them

Tech Convert

funny,
    I just did this quest as my girlfriends sister is living with us now, and she sleeps right next to my studio.
    my friends at gearslutz pointed me in the direction of the Audio Technica ath-m50, they are awesome, and only run about 100 on ebay,
    the other option is the sennheiser hd650 everyone has been raving about these and I spotted Prydz and Tocadisco with some a few months ago, they say you can mix down a track for real on them, the only problem is they are open back, so any one around you can hear your tracks and will probably be sick of listening to your bassline over and over...
    they are pretty expensive too,
    the ath-m50 are comfortable, and really accurate, thats what you want for production,

IMPORTANT
    ---------------------------
    Dj headphones while they sound awesome, tend to hype frequencys, esp that all to crucial low end, so the image that you hear is not what you are really doing, I learned this the hard way from my silver sonys, working on the road when I previewed some tracks in a set, my shit was weak sauce. you will need some thing accurate and low, one more thing is that you prob wont produce at the same volume that you would monitor your mixes at, dj headphones are ment to go loud too

ok enough rambling, I hope I can help, the guy that suggested the beyerdynamic is prob right on the money too, they make great stuff, I used some at a studio last summer.

Tech Guru

using a binaural post processing unit to give you a stereo image in the headphones is probably important.
    FIX8:OSCill8
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

Quote Originally Posted by drlebosqui View Post
    Sennheiser HD 25-II
    I'm going to be upgrading to these soon for production.
    don't bother with the DT100 or DT150's, I have them at work and the bass response is no good for producing electronic music. They are industry standard because of the isolation they provide (essential when recording with a band) and because all the parts are replaceable - not because of the sound quality!

Sennheiser HD 25-II are great, otherwise some open back ones will give you a good sound also. You need to get a few tracks together that you know really well, take them into a shop and try some pairs out - see what sounds best to you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast