DJs and their masks... - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by souldancer View Post
    enough said. Most interesting mask in the scene. LOL

What the fuck did I just watch for 43 minutes?

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by William Gibson View Post
    Outside artists help us define what is inside.

Quote Originally Posted by souldancer View Post
    enough said. Most interesting mask in the scene. LOL

holy balls

Quote Originally Posted by William Gibson View Post
    Well, Kudos to you 43 minutes, after 2 minutes scrolling through it i was done

But he will be a great lead singer in the cantina band, in the new starwars movie.
    Last edited by souldancer; 06-16-2015 at 11:42 PM.
    http://soundcloud.com/thom-b/
    2011-04-14-the-corners-of-my

KONTROL S8, 2x KONTROL D2, XONE DB4, traktor audio 10, kontrol x1, pioneer hdj 2000, software traktor scratch pro 2 & ableton suite 9

I couldn't stop...

It's ok I watched it for close to full length one day I jut couldn't quite stop watching it was so fucked haha.... Would imagine on certain psychoactive ingredients that would make for one hell of a watch if the right state of mind that is

I've got a masked persona - The Imperatrixx

She's for when I play certain events where a bit of theatricality can be fun (I debuted her at a Torture Garden fetish event - lets just say I fitted in fine there)

I like it too as it's just one kind of music. I kind of suffer in that my 'Jane Dalton' DJ persona plays so many different kind of events (anything from alternative, industrial, 80s, goth to dance and chart), so having a persona who just does one thing - filthy electro - is kinda helpful.
    Last edited by Jane; 06-19-2015 at 09:26 AM.
    CDJ 2000s : DJM 900: Reloop RP-7000s : Mixvibes Cross 3+ : HPCompaq : iMac: Maschine 2 : Traktor Pro2 : XDJ-AERO : RMX1000
    facebook.com/djanedalton / and my DJ alter-ego, The Imperatrixx

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    I can't think of any of the DJs I listen to use masks.

I cut daft punk and dead mouse 5 slack because they are original ideas.

I don't hate the masks. I just think they are gimmicky. I am there to dance and listen to good tunes mixed by a good DJ. This whole movement that house music is festival music is a bit strange to me. I think it's that attitude that has given birth to alot more people using masks to differentiate themselves from other acts.

What if the masks are tied into the theme and overall M.O of what the DJ/Producer is trying to do with their music? I don't see any harm in using masks with that route. It's just unfortunate that some DJ's choose to wear masks(mostly goofy, at that) for their gigs and it has nothing to do with their music.

IMO, If part of your theme and "signature look", then masks are fine.

If they're a goofy thing to wear and has no relation to your music, get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane View Post
    I've got a masked persona - The Imperatrixx

She's for when I play certain events where a bit of theatricality can be fun (I debuted her at a Torture Garden fetish event - lets just say I fitted in fine there)

I like it too as it's just one kind of music. I kind of suffer in that my 'Jane Dalton' DJ persona plays so many different kind of events (anything from alternative, industrial, 80s, goth to dance and chart), so having a persona who just does one thing - filthy electro - is kinda helpful.
    I can totally understand a "persona" change with a mask.

Quote Originally Posted by Aryciuss View Post
    What if the masks are tied into the theme and overall M.O of what the DJ/Producer is trying to do with their music? I don't see any harm in using masks with that route. It's just unfortunate that some DJ's choose to wear masks(mostly goofy, at that) for their gigs and it has nothing to do with their music.

IMO, If part of your theme and "signature look", then masks are fine.

If they're a goofy thing to wear and has no relation to your music, get rid of it.
    please give me an example of people that use masks that are tied into their music. I don't listen to DJs that use masks so I don't understand the connection.

I might be able to get with people that use masks for live performances. I think when DJs use them they are putting their image infront of their music.
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    I can totally understand a "persona" change with a mask.

please give me an example of people that use masks that are tied into their music. I don't listen to DJs that use masks so I don't understand the connection.

I might be able to get with people that use masks for live performances. I think when DJs use them they are putting their image infront of their music.
    Depending on the DJ, I think it's quite the opposite. Some DJ's want to hide their face so that their music can take center stage instead of their face being anywhere in mass media.

Zardonic is a great example of someone using a mask to represent their music.
    https://soundcloud.com/zardonic

His mask is aggressive looking with cables for hair. It matches the kind of music and art that he makes.

At the end of the day, music is what should matter most. There should be more of an evaluation process of a DJ if you only look at their mask and decide not to listen to them. Some DJ's just want a distinctive look to go with their sound and I don't see any problem with that. With so many DJ's going up and using the same gear, same software, same style and same song structures, it's nice to see something different musically and visually every once in a while. The DJs that just show up as themselves have and always will heavily outnumber DJs that choose to do something different(like wear a mask). Variety should be embraced, not put down IMO.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast