Hip hop acapellas and copyright - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Drop a link to the unfinished track
    Let's see how well the sample works

I would focus more on finishing the song and not legalities. Kinda confuses me a bit that you're looking at it backwards. From what I recall you're a fairly new producer, this would be a perfect song to send out to other artists and ask for feedback, etc. A few will reply, most won't... But that in my opinion is the best method of approach for this. If major artists like your tracks, you'll score a huge connect.. If not then it's time to archive it and move on to the next one. Maybe I come off as an ass but I don' mean to, I just know how I was when I started out and I wish I had been more patient and laid back about releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    I would focus more on finishing the song and not legalities. Kinda confuses me a bit that you're looking at it backwards. From what I recall you're a fairly new producer, this would be a perfect song to send out to other artists and ask for feedback, etc. A few will reply, most won't... But that in my opinion is the best method of approach for this. If major artists like your tracks, you'll score a huge connect.. If not then it's time to archive it and move on to the next one. Maybe I come off as an ass but I don' mean to, I just know how I was when I started out and I wish I had been more patient and laid back about releases.
    Makes sense. I guess it's because I spend a lot of time doing a day job and not producing, so I don't want to spend a lot of the little time I have working on something that cold get me sued for whatever reason! Honestly I'm not that fussed about releases... my comment about major labels was referring to the owner of the sample.

I think your point is entirely valid either way.
    SC - WS

Quote Originally Posted by daviedavedave View Post
    Makes sense. I guess it's because I spend a lot of time doing a day job and not producing, so I don't want to spend a lot of the little time I have working on something that cold get me sued for whatever reason! Honestly I'm not that fussed about releases... my comment about major labels was referring to the owner of the sample.

I think your point is entirely valid either way.
    I know the feeling dude. I work full time and then have to worry about producing and it eats at me knowing I could probably be 1000% better if I could just focus on this alone. But then I think about guys who are at the top, and how old they are, and how long they've been doing it... Then it kinda mellows me back out and I can hit the studio with a clear mind and a bit of motivation.

But on point, I would still finish the track, and if it's good then send it out to artists to play! I honestly wouldn't rush a release. Plus, what could be cooler than having someone you like tell you that your song is awesome, and to send them more lol.

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by daviedavedave View Post
    Maybe "petty" and "insignificant" are the wrong words... what I mean is that it's 5 words out of many hundreds in the original song. But of course I know that it's still part of their original work so I don't want to take the piss.

Thinking this is going to be a minefield from this and what I've already looked up. Thanks for the advice!
    I personally release anything for free that potentially has any copyright issues associated. If its only 5 words its probably a lot cheaper to buy a good mic and record something similar and use that instead.

Tech Convert

find the artist in question on twitter and ask them directly. they normally know the quickest and correct route to getting clearance. you could also put it on Soundcloud and let them block you, you will deffinately find out who owns the rigts LOL
    'If it doesn't make you dance then its probably not dance music.' - Matt Sessions

Pretty much every modern distributor will review tracks before release to check for any copyright discrepancies. This protects the distributor if you are self releasing. If you are releasing through a label, it depends on your contract with the label. We take all responsibility of copyright in our contracts for Bassline Syndicate. This does take creative control away from the artist, but protects them.
    If it is an artist that was ever famous whatsoever, take the extra ten minutes to find the copyright owner and at least reach out to them. If they refuse to respond, save the correspondence for future protection to yourself. You should use something similar to Sidekick to track your e-mails.
    Good luck and happy producing.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    This is a non-problem.

Just fucking do it.
    Thats terrible advice. If the track blows up and the samples were not cleared, its likely the OP will not see a dime of it. Its happened many times.

Don't be so ridiculous.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Don't be so ridiculous.
    That's not ridiculous at all. It could actually be worse. If the artist blows up, or even just does well. They can go after him for the sales, rights for the tune, pull it altogether, sue him for any profit he may have made off of any performance, etc. Always get your samples cleared. It's safe practice that will protect you in the future. You would be surprised how often you will get an e-mail stating that you can just use it for free.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast