DJM 850 vs DJM 2000
    Tech Mentor

Default DJM 850 vs DJM 2000

Hey all

Quick question regarding the DJM 850 and the DJM 2000 (original, not Nexus). Which model is better in terms of sound quality and overall performance? I have the option to buy either mixer at a reasonable price. I like the DJM 2000 in terms of effects and MIDI, but not sure how compatible it is with Traktor.

Please give any info you may have!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jacknunz View Post
    Hey all

Quick question regarding the DJM 850 and the DJM 2000 (original, not Nexus). Which model is better in terms of sound quality and overall performance? I have the option to buy either mixer at a reasonable price. I like the DJM 2000 in terms of effects and MIDI, but not sure how compatible it is with Traktor.

Please give any info you may have!

Thanks
    as far as i know, the djm 2000 is not scratch certified. though 850 is. other than that i'd take the 850 over 2000 at any time. i don't like this huge middle section on the 2000. played with it a few times and never had the urge to touch this display and play with all the fx. traktors fx plus the normal filter/delay stuff on regular mixers is all that i need. also the 2000 is a big heavy beast and a pain in the ass to carry around or setup in a tight booth.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

I've had both mixers over the past couple of years and both have their strengths.

Loved the 2000 and really got into it's central touch screen, and the isolators were great. Sadly I had to sell it (in my great 'festival I put on did well but not well enough £5000+ loss) but have since managed to build up a new set of gear with a DJM 850 as my mixer which I love.

The 850s scratch certified (which I don't think the 2000 is) so plays very well with Traktor, Serato's clubkit and Mixvibes Cross (which is what I use) and you can send midi outputs and map the 850.

I think it's layout, being 'pioneer standard' means playing out on various other mixers in clubs you'll likely be more familiar (such as old DJM 700s and 800s, as well as the 900 Nexus). I've also got the Isolator (and more) with my RMX 1000 that I run through the send/return, so have that DJM 2000 aspect.

I'd go to a store and give both a try as the 2000's a lot of fun and I preferred it's big spacious layout. But I'm more than happy enough with my 850 and tbh not looking to change anytime soon.
    CDJ 2000s : DJM 900: Reloop RP-7000s : Mixvibes Cross 3+ : HPCompaq : iMac: Maschine 2 : Traktor Pro2 : XDJ-AERO : RMX1000
    facebook.com/djanedalton / and my DJ alter-ego, The Imperatrixx

Love my 850. It plays flawlessly with Traktor.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Couple of things to note:

DJM-2000 is supposed to be a mixer of choice for permanent club and $$$ home setups. Comparing size as a issue of portability is like comparing how hard it is to move a solid oak table for 6 vs one for 8 people - neither are portable. You'll need a flighcase for both mixers.

850's Traktor Scratch certification is only relevant if you intend on using timecode vinyl. Both have a internal sound interface that plays flawlessly with Traktor, DJM-2000 having a slight upper hand regarding sound quality (that you'll only notice that with a serious $$$ sound system).

As far as layout goes - it took me 2min to adjust to pioneer mixer coming from a denon one - the big secret is that mixers basics haven't changed that much in over 20 years. Mastering DJM-2000's FX unit is not neccessary to use it's "basic" functions but I guarantee it will be a lot of fun. Jane did had a valid point: DJM-850+RMX unit is like a modular alternative to the DJM-2000 but I don't know how much that weighs considering the price difference?

So, in my opinion it all comes down to how much money you have, do you need TSP certification (like, do you own TT's?) and don't want to use TSP registry/rex hack to enable it and the intended use of the mixer.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Tech Mentor

FYI everyone: The 2000 (and 2000 NXS) doesn't have enough channels on the soundcard to do DVS on any platform, full stop.

It's 4 out/0 in, or 3 out/1 in.

I own a 2000, and play on the 850 a lot. In my opinion, much of the 2000 is wasted if you aren't using Rekordbox (I am), and the 850 is far superior for use with software, and not great with Rekordbox (no link port).

Quote Originally Posted by Mojaxx View Post
    FYI everyone: The 2000 (and 2000 NXS) doesn't have enough channels on the soundcard to do DVS on any platform, full stop.
    It's 4 out/0 in, or 3 out/1 in.
    Crap, totally forgot about that "little" detail haha, thanks mojaxx for correcting me.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2