modular or s8
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: modular or s8

Default modular or s8

Hey guys. I've hit a dilemma. Ive been djing for almost 4 years now and i want to expand my talents as a dj. Ive been using traktor for most of that time and i want to start tapping into remix decks and using effects more often. I feel like I've gotten down general mixing. Can manually beat match and everything. I know how to use the eq's to master the mix and everyting. But i feel the next step is going to remix decks and effects. Ive been thinking about getting a s8 for awhile but its $1200. Ive read the old article back from in the day about this but technology for djing has gotten better since then. So as of june of 2015, with all the equipment we have at our disposal now. What would you guys recommend for the direction I'm going towards. Im a regular at a bar in town and i play everything under the sun. This isn't gonna really a 'practice at home' set up. I'm out every weekend djing. Also I'm gonna be branching off to other clubs soon so i need to keep portablilty in mind.
    So what do you guys think. Any help and opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by afshawn998; 06-19-2015 at 01:56 PM.

If you're a regular DJ at a Regular spot playing anything and everything then don't you want your setup to mimic the clubs you currently/ will play at in the future?
    A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

S8 or D2's if you can afford them... If not, then get an F1 or the Midifighter 3D. Both are great for effect+remix control - this is how I roll right now

Then what would you guys do for a mixer? Because if the total of the modular adds up to 1500+. I'm just gonna get a s8

But the clubs I'm going to next use all in one controllers. mostly serato users. so should i just stick with the all in one or go to a nice modular set up with two d2's and a good mixer?

because the club i dj at right now doesnt have a mixer. i have to bring my s4 and plug in to their big 8 channel mixer way off to the right. its for running all of their other sound equipment too so its not for the dj to use. But for the clubs in boise it seems like almost everyone just brings their own controller and rocks it out. Mostly all serato users. few of them use cdj's but other than that it seems to be 'bring your own equipment'. so i dont know if i should spend the money on getting a nice mixer and two d2's or just get the s8. but all the four channel mixers i like are all about 2000$. i wish they would just sell the s8's mixer separately and it would make my life a whole lot easier.

Tech Mentor

Depending on what you want, you can get two D2s and a mixer for a little more than an S8 to maintain the modular setup.
    Nobody says you need a Nexus. The Denon x1600 can be had for under $900
    Or the new A&H 43/43c.
    Make it even cheaper if you get X1 midi fighter or an F1
    Plenty of options.

Tech Mentor

maybe you should look into getting an ableton set up. it would cost far less and give you more remix ability
    Technics 1210 / Pioneer plx 1000 / Xone 42 / Adam a3x / UA apollo twin / Maschine mikro / Ableton live 9 / Maschine 2 / MBP Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015

Modular setup, IMO. The S8 is a bit unwieldy for club use without proper controller stands, etc, as well as needing its own dedicated power supply.

I would go modular. You can always upgrade bits or downgrade bits as and when you feel.
    I bought myself a Denon DN-X1700 for dirt cheap and they are awesome mixers (also Traktor scratch certified if you ever wanted to go down that route). Then just add a couple of X1s or D2s or F1s or a launchpad or whatever you want really.

If you buy an S8 you are tied to that complete package.

Technology moves on so be future proof and buy a decent mixer (with internal soundcard) as your hub then add to it as and when you feel.
    Last edited by nobbycossie; 06-19-2015 at 06:54 AM. Reason: spelling
    TSP2, Rane 64, 2x SL1210 (restored and customised), Shure M44-7 Carts, X1 Mk 2, Launchpad.

http://www.sounditoutrecords.co.uk
    https://soundcloud.com/theworkhouse-sessions

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast