Idea's For DJ Name ??? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    I was giving him real advice and a different perspective about how little it matters.
    Yeah, I agree with you totally. What matters is music.

Have been djing for 10 years on and off. When you get people jumping and screaming is not because you have a fancy name.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Guess I should have looked at this earlier.

I see where Xone is coming from, but I disagree. I think there's a lot to a DJ name, depending on what you're doing. I hear DJ Dog Dick and I instantly develop a stereotype of that person. There's a DJ named DJ Cat Killer. I hear that and get imagery from it instantly.

I don't think you should use your real name, if anything for the purpose of anonymity and protecting your identity. Maybe develop an alter ego or another name that is a real name but isn't your name. but remember, the name is the first thing people hear about you, and it is the first thing they are going to use to develop an opinion of you.

And we don't lock these threads. There are a number of them and I'd appreciate it if the OP would search for them and see the advice we give there, to avoid giving it over and over again. But, this forum is supposed to cater to DJs at all levels, and new DJs need advice too.

Much love guys
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

My 2 cents, Like I originally mentioned it was a light hearted post, It was intended to provoke some ideas... I was just a thought that came to me and I expressed it here.

Xone, I got your point the first time, Not that I needed it explained to me, as I was never under the impression that my DJ Monika was going to make me famous, It was more the manner in which you expressed as it that was both unwarranted and arrogant. (that is the your original unedited Reply)

Yes it pissed me off and I replied, but later deleted my Post citing good taste and unwillingness to undertake this Tit for tat bullshit I see on other forums.

I thank those who didn’t take my post too seriously, the way I intended it.

Tech Mentor

I see where Xone is coming from, but I disagree. I think there's a lot to a DJ name, depending on what you're doing. I hear DJ Dog Dick and I instantly develop a stereotype of that person. There's a DJ named DJ Cat Killer. I hear that and get imagery from it instantly.
    Yeah... but there must be something really wrong with you if choose "Cat Killer" as a name...

but remember, the name is the first thing people hear about you, and it is the first thing they are going to use to develop an opinion of you.
    True, but that perception can change. Honestly, what would you think of a band called Massive Attack?

Yeah... but you listen to their music and bam! that picture completely transforms.

Anyway the point of Xone (and mine) is to not worry about the name so much. Sure in the end you need a name, but searching for the perfect sounding concept doesn't make you a better dj. What counts is the music.

In the end fancy names usually sound old after some time has passed. Like Sasha, or BT... that's so 90s... In the 2000s lots of bands and djs got 80s names because of the whole electro revival... at the time you could argue they sounded cool... but now? Ladytron? The hacker?... anyway that's jut my opinion.

There are rare exceptions of "artificial" names that keep on working after decades. IMO Massive Attack is one of the few. The Chemical Brothers, Alva Noto, Moloko...

Using your real name is a good option imo. Look at trentemoller... When I first heard the name I didn't like it, but that's his real name Anders Trentemoller. And to be honest now I like it.

A real name is timeless. Or at least something that sounds like a real name.

BTW Dave's Clarke first name was Hardcore (omg...), obviously he dropped that name for his real name.

BTW, I was reading Bill Bryson's book : The Mother Tongue: English and How it Got That Way. When I came to a Page that demonstrated the most commen sound in the English language. The word for it is SCHWA it even comes with its own special Symbol i intend to incorpatrate.

Schwa

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In linguistics, specifically phonetics and phonology, schwa (also spelled shwa[citation needed]) can mean the following:

* An unstressed and toneless neutral vowel sound in some languages, often but not necessarily a mid-central vowel. Such vowels are often transcribed with the symbol <ə>, regardless of their actual phonetic value.
    * The mid-central vowel sound (rounded or unrounded) in the middle of the vowel chart, stressed or unstressed. In IPA phonetic transcription, it is written as [ə]. In this case the term mid-central vowel may be used instead of schwa to avoid ambiguity.

So, I guess its DJ Schwa

Now all I have to do is sit back, press play and become Famous :eek:

[QUOTE=pier;78786] Using your real name is a good option imo. Look at trentemoller... When I first heard the name I didn't like it, but that's his real name Anders Trentemoller. And to be honest now I like it.

A real name is timeless. Or at least something that sounds like a real name.[QUOTE]

Ehhh, Trentemoller is A cool name, but then again im auto associating it with his music, Happens to be In my top 3 Dj's. However, in the case of my surname, well, lets just say that its prone to name play!

An example I often use to ponder was "Pearl Jam" When you think about it, its kind of an odd name.... How they came up with that, I dont know.

Then there is Led Zeppelin, One of my all time bands, Its different in the sense that i would have thought it cool from the beggining, Initially I think they were going to be called "The new yardbirds" But someone mentioned to them that they were going to go Down "like a led Zeppelin"

Im still not sure if that was to be intended as being positive or negative, However They were all kinds of awsomeness, John Bonham will always be One of my Hero's.
    Last edited by narrah; 11-14-2009 at 09:41 PM.

dj schwa is a dj in the tech/minimal scene... he owns beef records

Quote Originally Posted by josh@firestorm View Post
    dj schwa is a dj in the tech/minimal scene... he owns beef records
    yep.
    !
    Vista | Traktor Pro 2 | VCI-400 EGE | VCI-100 Arcade | MF Pro Beat Masher | MidiFighter Classic (pics)
    Soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by kelsey7k View Post
    yep.

Damn, hsould have googled Dj schwa

How about, DJ ROMP

as in

DJ Rain On My Parade

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast