Practising djing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Practising djing.

Hey everyone, im just starting to get into controllerism/djing and i have had a few negative comments on my "practising". First thing i want to say is i already have a musical backround (drums, guitar, piano, saxamaphone) and i really enjoy both electronic music and the art of scratching/turntablism. I plan on getting a sx2 in a couple months but found a Kontrol f1 at a garage sale for $50 still in box! So i bought it and have been messing around with that. However a few of my friends have been saying how dumb i look practising my "crossfading". I sometimes just use the up/down fader to practise "scratch style" crossfading until i get my main unit. How ridiculous is it to practise this? I mean it can't hurt right? (or is it a total waste that will have no benefit in learning how to scratch) i also sometimes practice finger drumming on the pads when off :S am i slightly retarded?

Tech Guru

There are no rules. Do what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysaucepan View Post
    I sometimes just use the up/down fader to practise "scratch style" crossfading until i get my main unit. How ridiculous is it to practise this? I mean it can't hurt right? (or is it a total waste that will have no benefit in learning how to scratch)

That tutorial looked decent to me. (I watched it at x2 speed, love that function for tutorials.) He seems to present some worthwhile uses for faders in a scratching practice regimen. (I know nothing about this subject btw.)

If your friends have some experience with DJing or scratching, it might be worth asking them for how they think you should be practicing.

If they don't, then maybe what you are doing just sounds abrasive, like a novice piano player might. Or they might not be the right audience for you.

Tech Mentor

The F1 has no jogs, so learning to scratch is difficult at this time. But while waiting for your sx2, you can practice other parts of DJing with the F1. Like fader techniques or finger drumming, beatmatching, eq, filters and FX. Best tip (for me): Train crossfader and scratch techniques separately. And dig into the software, so you are familiar with it.

It is never a waste of time to practice whatever you like to do.
    Like ImNoDJ wrote: "There are no rules. Do what you want."

There are tons of youtube tutorials about scratching and how to learn it. You can watch these and learn alot even without having jogs yet.

(BTW You could map buttons to perform baby scratches. But this is kind of advanced and seems not to be the solution you are looking for.)

MacBookPro 11,1 | i5 2,4GHz | 16 GB RAM | 256 GB SSD
    MacOSX 10.15.x | TraktorPro 3.x | VCI-100 SE FW 1.4 | VCI-400 SE (EGE)

Just get fuckin' stuck in, mate! Do whatever you want - pressing buttons and moving knobs and faders is the bread and butter of it.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

what im wondering is why you waited until the last instance of your usage of the word "practice" , to spell it right???

and tell your friends :

practice makes perfect

BUT

perfect can't be practiced.

p.s. there are a LOT of scratch djs that use the upfaders, among other parts of the mixer....whilst cutting.
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Quote Originally Posted by c0nsul View Post

It is never a waste of time to practice whatever you like to do.
    Like ImNoDJ wrote: "[COLOR=#252525]There are no rules. Do what you want."

i DO have to say i disagree with these statements..

the POINT of practicing should be to LEARN a technique. think about something you want to learn , go find a tutorial for THAT and study THAT technique.

when you are "noodling" you do whatever you want... this is a different process and should not be confused with OR mixed with practice time.

I disagree - practice is not about learning - it is about repeating a learned activity until you are proficient.

You can learn HOW to scratch in a day, but you wil only be able to scratch after a load of practice.

Learning requires effort, and practice required discipline. Discipline trumps effort any day of the week.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

i dont care what you call it , just dont spend an hour on unfocused noodling, call it practice, and think youre advancing your skills.

Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.

and get a mentor to show you how it's done right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast