Is it time for sending out demos? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Wizard

Send whatever you feel like to send. They will just reject it at worst.

Tech Mentor

I´m sort of getting into this. My advice is the following, considering my style I'll give you some examples:
    1. Do a research on the labels that your favorite Dj's usually play songs
    Here you will find two type of labels:
    The monsters: Usually the label that the Dj manages or any other label a similar Dj manages(Bedrock, Toolroom, drumcode, Ultra). I´m talking about really big stuff here with well known artists behind each of them.
    The small recurrent ones: These are not so massive, usually of underground artists with somewhat big local following. But not your festival DJ. Take note of these ones.

2. Do a research on the small labels, investigate their artists, listen to their tracks, buy a couple of them, start following artists that you like. And most important, try to find out who manages it, I´m talking about full name here and mail. This will go a long way. If you cant find that usually you will find a demo submission mail or something. Find out for how many time the label has been running and the amount of releases it has made. Your goal here is to find a label that doesn't flood beatport with tracks.

3. Once you have a track that is within the style of your label of choice. The track has to be finished, near finished (arrangement, pretty close mixdown and some master). A good indicator if it is ready to be ready is to try using it in a DJ set. If it mixes smoothly with another tracks, chances are that you are pretty close to having it ready. Upload it to a private soundcloud and/or mediafire.

4. Write a personal Email to the label manager or demo submission mail, saying how you like the label, your favourite release, where you heard from them. Then say something that you made this track that you think will suit the label style, how you would like some feedback. Add some personal info also and add the private soundcloud link or download link.

Some things I learnt:
    Try to avoid labels that release EP's, compilations about 3 times a week or more.
    Small labels will expect your own mastering and mixing.
    Try to find labels in your city (This will help you getting gigs etc.)
    Send 2 tracks together, if you have remixes better. I feel that 2 track EP's with 2 remixes are better than 1 track EP with 3 different remixes. (just my opinion)
    Dont be afraid to send to the big labels, maybe they don't release it but if the DJ likes it, he might play it.
    Try to find out about the labels distributors and promo services, generally small labels are part of a mayor gigantic label such as Proton or others.

Hope this info is usefull!
    Producer & Dj from Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    Soft seared beats and smoked gritty basslines marinated with pads, served over home grown melodies and a pinch of salt.
    https://soundcloud.com/similian
    Subscribe to Similian Sound Tools mailing list and receive exclusive content!

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    I would suggest sending it to artists of the similar style first. This is key especially when starting out. It doesn't have to be the biggest artists in the game but people who already have their name out there. If these artists give you good feedback, then you can use that as a hypothetical press kit for your song when sending the demo.

Plus, it's a good way to find out if your track is club ready if you don't play any gigs yourself. It'll be perfect for when it comes time to send the final product.

*Obviously you can do what you want, but as an artist I wish I had done it this way instead of just getting thrilled to send any old label my promos because I was so excited to finish a track and have my name out there somewhere.
    Out of interest how do you usually work this? Do you send them a SC link to a private file that can be downloaded, or just email them the file?
    SC - WS

Depends on the level of your relationships with the artist. Local buddies I send them a dropbox link, others I'll either message them a private SC link or grab their promo email and send it that way. I found you're likely to get a reply on SC though versus email.

Quote Originally Posted by InsertSmartName View Post
    Hey
    Lately I've become a lot more confident with my production skills, finally most of my finished and half way through projects feel like they're "right"... but when should I start sending demos to record labels? Should i wait for a fair amount of people that actually follows me or should I send whatever feels right to send?

Ye I know this is kinda of a stupid question, but I'm quite sure you can give me some advices

Cheers!
    labels love exclusives... If you think the song is great send them a private demo and wait 2 weeks 50/50 chance they will respond back with a yay or a nay. lots of followers usually means the label can make money off you which they want

Mate, the questions and responses to date about how to send out demos, I have been listening to your tracks and they are bad-ass...get them out there. I am liking the moodiness of the Rolling track, nice delays on the snares and hats. That Mad World remix is doing it!!!!

Red face

im sure, ! labels trying too find new things and creativity in the music.. tiesto said,,
    The old music is gone we are going into new Erra.. so if u want too be a part of that new erra of music try too make something new and diffrent !! thats why yahel is out of part now ... !! hes still makeing the old things
    if u see the latest release from armada revelead and spinin u will see this is true !! curbi track is something new and diffrent ..

cya <3

Tech Wizard

Kwal has made alot of good points on this thread and I would say much of the same. When I started out producing, I was also throwing events so I was in contact with a lot of DJ's from major names to local openers. Using these contacts as a sounding board is usually the best way to get feedback. If DJ's are playing your tunes (especially established DJ's) then it is def time to get in touch with a label. Also, even if your tunes need some help, if a label believes you have talent they may even try to develop you as an artist by giving you pointers on the arrangement or mixdown of a track that they think it has potential. Most likely when you are starting out, you will not hear back from a lot of people but as your tracks get better you will start to at least get some feedback. Always approach DJ's and or labels who play a similar style to what your are producing otherwise you are just spinning your wheels. Another thing to keep in mind when producing dance music is that your real target audience is other DJ's so it pays to be a DJ yourself so that you understand what other DJ's might be looking for in a track.
    Last edited by AudioTactics; 10-23-2015 at 04:10 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12