Flash Drives with LED Indicators

Default Flash Drives with LED Indicators

Hey DJTT!

I want to change setups: from an X1 + laptop to flash drives. I love my X1, but breaking everything down, packing it all, setting it up, and breaking it down again is tiresome. I have an X1, laptop, headphones, 5 cables, a laptop stand, sound card, a power adapter, and 4 cases (one for my X1, laptop, headphones, and sound card). I want to move to flash drives because they're small and easy to transport.
    I'm looking for a drive that's 32gb, 64gb, or 128gb, not too large, durable, reliable, and has an LED indicator. I've used some drives in the past that have flat out died on me, and I really don't want that to happen just before or during a gig. I've read lots of reviews about lots of different products and I just don't know what to believe. Some say product X is reliable, while others say it breaks easily; some say X's sliding mechanism locks into place, while others say it's flimsy and makes the drive difficult to mount. I figured many of you here have way more experience with these things than I do, so I hope you can help me out.

Thanks in advance!
    Paul
    "There are no two words more harmful in the English language than 'good job.'"
    — Terence Fletcher, Whiplash

I'll update this thread periodically just in case others have similar questions. I spent a few days doing some research and went with 2 Kingston DataTraveler Ultimate G3 64GB USB 3.0s:

Kingston-DataTraveller-Ultimate-3.0-G3-64GB-USB3.0-Flash-Drive-Review.jpg

This is a relatively fast and well-built flash drive with more than enough storage. I don't intend on putting my entire library of music on one of these things, but I'll be able to fit more than enough tracks for the longest sets I play, which are roughly 6 hours. I was a little skeptical about getting something with a sliding mechanism, because another drive I have utilizes a similar method of protection and when I slide the drive into a port, the USB retracts back into its shell on its own.
    This is frustrating, but I've asked a handful of owners if that happens with this thing and they've assured me it doesn't, but I will know for certain soon enough. Another reason I went with a drive that slides is because there's no cap to keep track of. There's a blue LED that flashes when in use, so that's cool. Anyway, I'll let you all know more when these guys arrive and I put them to use. I'm excited about traveling lightly and playing on CDJs again, which was how I started.
    Can any of you recommend a portable and durable flash drive case? I will have more than a few and need a place to store them.

Tech Mentor

Just my 2 cents.

Have you thought about getting a 3rd just in case the players aren't linked and one (or both) USB sticks break (or you want to use 3 players). Always need a 3rd option just in case.
    Xone DB4 | Pioneer DDJ-SP1 | DJ Tech CDJ 101 (x2) | Serato DJ
    NI X1 MKII | NI Scratch A6 | MF Twister | Traktor Pro 2
    Sennheiser HD 25 II | KRK Rokit 5 (x2) | Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    Mixed In Key 8 | MusicBrainz Picard | Mixxx 2

Quote Originally Posted by rob2192 View Post
    Just my 2 cents.

Have you thought about getting a 3rd just in case the players aren't linked and one (or both) USB sticks break (or you want to use 3 players). Always need a 3rd option just in case.
    I thought about it, but then it slipped my mind, so many thanks for the reminder! My main concern is having a flash drive die the day of a gig. I will see how these two flash drives hold up for a little while and, if I'm impressed, I'll order another one. In the meantime, I'll carry a small case of (24) CDs as backup. Thanks again for your input!