upgrading to ssd and ram upgrade

Default upgrading to ssd and ram upgrade

hi all, been looking into upgrading my ram and hdd to an ssd, got a bit help off some of the guys on here about it, and got it going into the computer shop today now ive found the problem to it been slow, ive just spoken to the guy whos gonna be looking at it and says theres a chance i may lose my vsts and other software i may have, is there a way to back the full lot of my computer up so this doesnt happen?

ive been putting off the mac sotware upgrade incase of this too, making anything incompatible like maveriks i think it was did couple year back..

my main programs i have bought can easily be downloaded, but got a feeling i may forget loads of stuff that ive used to make tracks in the passed and maybes make them un playable after this upgrade?

may be just been a bit paranoid

you should probably get an external backup drive and use "time machine" https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250 - i backup my macs manually but keep meaning to get a dedicated backup drive to use with it
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Nice one man, just bought a Samsung 1tb external hard drive gonna see the guy in the shop and if any risks run the time machine and take it back next week cheers

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

There is ZERO reason you should lose anything with a hardware upgrade.

Use Carbon Copy Clone it will create an exact (bootable) replica of your existing hard disk, if
    something doesn't work as expected you can boot and re-clone back to your internal hard disk and decide your next move

actually just reread and see youre changing the hdd for an ssd... thats exactly what i did with my late-2011 mbp last year and added an extra 4gb in. the difference was like night and day...

i didnt bother with any backups - just put my old hdd in a usb caddy and then grabbed stuff on it after installing on my new ssd

edit: vst's are simple - you just copy from across to the new drive. i didnt have much software on it anyway so i just reinstalled them all.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

perfect just waiting on deliverys now, shame they dont last as youd expect but if i get another five year or so out of it will be a great buy

I did this, and put a 1tb spinny drive in a caddy instead of the superdrive. Works a treat and I don't need to worry about external drives during a set.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcaller View Post
    I did this, and put a 1tb spinny drive in a caddy instead of the superdrive. Works a treat and I don't need to worry about external drives during a set.
    great idea... i keep forgetting to buy one