S8 or Z2 + Turntables

Default S8 or Z2 + Turntables

So...

I'm thinking about selling my Pioneer DJM 800 and getting either a Z2 or an S8 for vinyl control. My thinking is that if I get the S8, I'd be able to drag it to small parties and use it sans the vinyl, but for my day to day home setup it would be a nice combo.

However, the Z2 is a sweet mixer and would be closer to the normal mixer + turntables combo that we all know in love.

What's your take? Anyone used the S8 + Vinyl control? Am I gonna miss my 800 (and it's pretty sweet filters) too much? Is the recent $200 price drop in the Z2 too good to pass by?

Thanks,
    DJ Stay in School

Tech Mentor

I think a better comparison would be S8 vs Z2 with an add on controller (e.g. X1). Both are portable, have a high amount of control over Traktor and can be used sans decks. But there are different use cases.

S8 - Big bonus is the screens. The best for use with remix decks and stems. Has 4 full channels. Will be best with something to raise it up (not yet available).

Z2 + X1 - Narrower setup so turntables closer together. Most suited for working with 2 decks and scratching / turntablism. Modular - so you can leave the Z2 at home and use the club mixer.

If you use remix decks then I would go S8; adding both X1 and F1 (or D2's) to a Z2 bumps the price up towards the S8.
    Last edited by rob2192; 07-12-2015 at 05:10 PM.
    Xone DB4 | Pioneer DDJ-SP1 | DJ Tech CDJ 101 (x2) | Serato DJ
    NI X1 MKII | NI Scratch A6 | MF Twister | Traktor Pro 2
    Sennheiser HD 25 II | KRK Rokit 5 (x2) | Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    Mixed In Key 8 | MusicBrainz Picard | Mixxx 2

Default Screens worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by rob2192 View Post
    S8 - Big bonus is the screens. The best for use with remix decks and stems. Has 4 full channels. Will be best with something to raise it up (not yet available).
    Good answer Rob, thanks. In your opinion, how much do you gain from the screens? What I mean is, do you feel that you just transfer from staring at a laptop screen to staring at 2 little screens on your controller?

I'm kind of an old schooler and mainly mix. I might monkey with remix decks and stems but don't see them as an integral part of my sets / workflow / etc.

The main reason I'm thinking S8 is 1, avoiding Serato face, and 2, for small gigs and parties I can just lift the S8 out and drag it with.

Tech Mentor

I personally don't own an s8 although i am considering the D2s, I like the idea but don't think it adds enough to my existing setup to be worth the investment for me right now.

I recommend watching these videos to get an idea how each setup would work (Same reviewer for comparison)

How do you mix 2 decks or 4? If your mixing more then 2 decks you'll struggle with the Z2.

The main reason I'm thinking S8 is 1, avoiding Serato face
    To avoid serato face I put the laptop off to the side and just glance at it when needed, I rarely touch the laptop as all everything is controlled via other hardware.

2, for small gigs and parties I can just lift the S8 out and drag it with.
    For portability if you have 2 TTs / CDJs, mixer (Z2) and add on controller (X1 or xone K2 etc) your set and it's upgradable in sections.
    Heres a few scenarios:
    1. Gig with decks and a traktor certified mixer provided - only need to take small controller.
    2. Gig with decks but no certified mixer provided - take Z2 or traktor scratch interface & small controller.
    3. Gig with nothing provided - take Z2 and small controller.

If you have an S8 you have to have the space to fit it and you can't integrate into other setups so easily.

Too sum up the S8 provides good value for money if you use all the features.
    Modular setup is the most flexible in terms of integrating with club or friends setups and upgrades.
    Currently Z2 & X1 is cheaper than S8.

If I were you I would try both setups out before making a decision. Compare the size and weight of each, see what you prefer playing on. You might not like how far apart the TTs are with the S8.

Default S8 or Z2 + Turntables

Z1 + X1mk2 + (2nd hand) audio 2
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Z2 rocks hard!
    excellent mixer and full of possibilites.
    there so many little tricks you can do with it, its actually mind boggoling at first.
    Last edited by Hansfree; 07-17-2015 at 01:58 PM.

Default Mobile setup

Quote Originally Posted by Hansfree View Post
    Z2 rocks hard!
    excellent mixer and full of possibilites.
    there so many little tricks you can do with it, its actually mind boggoling at first.
    Nice, thanks guys. So... I'm leaning a bit more towards Z2. BUT... that kind of leaves a hole in my kit because I'm also selling my old ass Xponent which I used to do small parties and whatnot. So... it'd be cool to have something like an Akai AMX to use with say an Fi and Trigger Finger. Anybody used an AMX, especially with traktor?

Tech Mentor

As far as i know the AMX sends midi so will be mappable to Traktor. For tiny setups also consider the Xone K2 and Kontrol Z1.
    Xone K2 could be an interesting one - used along side Z2 for better control over traktor e.g. FX, stems, hotcues, loops etc. And with a separate mapping be used as a mini 4 channel mixer or 2 channel + FX both with transport controls on the buttons.

Tech Mentor

I'm kind of a gear hog, here is what I have. A Z2, a Z1, an S4, two X1mk2's, an F1, The AMX setup with the AFX. The S8 doesn't appeal to me, so I won't comment on it. The AMX/AFX setup is cool, but I like the Z1/X1mk2 setup is designed better. The Z2 is one of the best mixers I ever used, and it sells for an unbelievable low price. If you are planning to use vinyl, the Z2/X1mk2 is the way to go. For portable, a Z1/X1mk2 is all you need, plus its cheap, especially used. I never got into the remix decks, so the S8, D2 or F1 doesn't really appeal to me. If you don't do remix decks or stems, I recommend a Z2 for the house, and a Z1 for the road, you can use the X1mk2 with both setups. The S4/S2 does everything too, but I really don't like those small platters.

Quote Originally Posted by Panotaker View Post
    I'm kind of a gear hog, here is what I have. A Z2, a Z1, an S4, two X1mk2's, an F1, The AMX setup with the AFX. The S8 doesn't appeal to me, so I won't comment on it. The AMX/AFX setup is cool, but I like the Z1/X1mk2 setup is designed better. The Z2 is one of the best mixers I ever used, and it sells for an unbelievable low price. If you are planning to use vinyl, the Z2/X1mk2 is the way to go. For portable, a Z1/X1mk2 is all you need, plus its cheap, especially used. I never got into the remix decks, so the S8, D2 or F1 doesn't really appeal to me. If you don't do remix decks or stems, I recommend a Z2 for the house, and a Z1 for the road, you can use the X1mk2 with both setups. The S4/S2 does everything too, but I really don't like those small platters.
    im almost as bad with my d2x2, x1mk2, z1 and the f1 i picked up yesterday (still not 100% sure why but its on offer so why not...) and may well pick up a z2 next week. the z1+x1mk2 is a cool/compact combination.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"