need help..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help..

Tech Convert

Default need help..

hi, im new to digital djing, im planning on buying a AH xone 3d to run on traktor scratch pro..

i read on some forums that you can only use 3 decks.. is that true?

to be able to use 4 decks do i still need to buy audio 8? or is it possible to play 4 decks with just the 3d plug directly to my computer and no need for other external soundcard?

any other suggestions? thanks guys

You'll need to use some of the ins/outs from your built-in soundcard to run 4 decks with a 3D

Here are instructions for OSX but you can do a similar thing with windows too:

http://www.allen-heath.com/DL/Traktor_OSX.pdf
    MacBook, Senn. HD25 II, Traktor Pro, Xone:2D + X-Session Pro
    New Ableton Live 8

jonparker.co.uk | soundcloud.com/jonparker | @jonparkeruk

Why would you buy a 3D instead of a 4D (apart form getting it as second hand)?

Tech Convert

hmmm thats just too much wires if i still have to use an external soundcard

was thinking about the 3d cause the 4d is just too expensive for me..

but im looking in to the 4d now.. or maybe ill just wait till they release the NI

kontrol x1s...

Tech Guru

The Xone 4D is a horrible product to be honest, and the official A&H forums are my influence on that opinion.

Since launch, A&H has failed to deliver official 64 bit drivers which are stable on Snow Leopard or Windows 7. If you are going to spend $3000 or so on a music solution, that thing better damn well work in my eyes. A&H's reaction to these complaints on their communities are either deleting the threads made addressing it, or playing the typical "We are working on it" card, providing no updates afterwards.

I'd say that A&H's forte is hardware. Given that, I have no plans touching the Xone DX.

Just my $0.02

Im eying of the DX, however I too spent some time on the A&H forums and guys were spewing about their 4D's. One would hop that A&H would take these setbacks and be looking for redemption with the DX, saying that, I will be waiting till its been on the market and tested before emptying my pockets.

Get a 4D, do not bother with a 3D, yes you can only use 3 decks with it among other issues the 4D fixes and improves on.

Quote Originally Posted by mmauve View Post
    The Xone 4D is a horrible product to be honest, and the official A&H forums are my influence on that opinion.

Since launch, A&H has failed to deliver official 64 bit drivers which are stable on Snow Leopard or Windows 7. If you are going to spend $3000 or so on a music solution, that thing better damn well work in my eyes. A&H's reaction to these complaints on their communities are either deleting the threads made addressing it, or playing the typical "We are working on it" card, providing no updates afterwards.

I'd say that A&H's forte is hardware. Given that, I have no plans touching the Xone DX.

Just my $0.02
    so you are saying that the 4D is not worth getting?

Tech Guru

Well, here is my experience personally.

Some people would argue that Im out of my mind to state that A&H delivers a bad product of any sort. Their hardware is phenomenal, Im a huge admirer of A&H quality and build, and as far as Im concerned, their DJ mixers and 1D/2D controllers are quite excellent.

However, the Xone 4D has so many issues wrong with it (ESPECIALLY any units with a serial number under 90000 - infamous for being total bricks), Im blown away they put their name behind it. My unit had everything from issues being recognized by either Mac or Windows OS, light pipe issues, audio drop outs, and just plain old fashioned non-responsiveness randomly.

Not acceptable for something that's that high in the price range. I would have been better off buying a Korg Zero 8 instead for almost 1/3 the price.

After battling with them for about 2 weeks (long awaited emails, lack of solutions offered, shoddy RMA process) I turned to the Xone community forums for feedback, a community which is bi-polar when it comes to most 4D discussions. They love the concept, feel, and build quality - but absolutely trash talk the support and stability. If you are fortunate enough to see such threads before the moderators delete them, it offers plenty of insight in regards to ownership experiences across the board.

I pawned mine at a $200 loss, which I consider a small price to alleviate myself from having to deal with the issues I was. I'm not one to give up easy on technical issues, but this was a lost cause.

Sure, they [A&H] have sluggishly made progress on these issues (sometimes they succeed, sometimes they don't) but bottom line, why subject yourself to the gamble of 4D ownership when there's cheaper alternatives which are more stable, and equally as flexible.

If it's any indication, Richie Hawtin uses only the 1D and 2D for a reason (rather, used to), and Deadmau5 ditched his 4D to go back to the Lemur.

To anyone who has owned 4D and have had good experiences with it - I envy you. While you're at it, buy a lottery ticket with your good fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by mmauve View Post
    Well, here is my experience personally.

Some people would argue that Im out of my mind to state that A&H delivers a bad product of any sort. Their hardware is phenomenal, Im a huge admirer of A&H quality and build, and as far as Im concerned, their DJ mixers and 1D/2D controllers are quite excellent.

However, the Xone 4D has so many issues wrong with it (ESPECIALLY any units with a serial number under 90000 - infamous for being total bricks), Im blown away they put their name behind it. My unit had everything from issues being recognized by either Mac or Windows OS, light pipe issues, audio drop outs, and just plain old fashioned non-responsiveness randomly.

Not acceptable for something that's that high in the price range. I would have been better off buying a Korg Zero 8 instead for almost 1/3 the price.

After battling with them for about 2 weeks (long awaited emails, lack of solutions offered, shoddy RMA process) I turned to the Xone community forums for feedback, a community which is bi-polar when it comes to most 4D discussions. They love the concept, feel, and build quality - but absolutely trash talk the support and stability. If you are fortunate enough to see such threads before the moderators delete them, it offers plenty of insight in regards to ownership experiences across the board.

I pawned mine at a $200 loss, which I consider a small price to alleviate myself from having to deal with the issues I was. I'm not one to give up easy on technical issues, but this was a lost cause.

Sure, they [A&H] have sluggishly made progress on these issues (sometimes they succeed, sometimes they don't) but bottom line, why subject yourself to the gamble of 4D ownership when there's cheaper alternatives which are more stable, and equally as flexible.

If it's any indication, Richie Hawtin uses only the 1D and 2D for a reason (rather, used to), and Deadmau5 ditched his 4D to go back to the Lemur.

To anyone who has owned 4D and have had good experiences with it - I envy you. While you're at it, buy a lottery ticket with your good fortune.
    so your serial number is underunder 90000. what bout xonetacular's since you are using the 4D too? is your serial number above under 90000?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast