Turntable feedback noise issue

Default Turntable feedback noise issue

Hi everybody,

I'll start first with my setup:
    2 x Stanton ST150 direct drive turntables (grounded)
    Ortofone Concorde Elektro S cartridges
    Allen & Heath Xone22 mixer
    2 x Behringer studio monitors

Recently I've changed the styluses and rearranged the setup to free up space (turned around the TT).
    The issue is that if place the needle on the record, even without playing it, and I turn up the volume I get a terrific feedback from the speakers (same as bringing a mic near the speaker). If I turn down the volume it mellows down, but if I knock on the TT or tone arm or even the desk, I can hear the knock in the speakers....
    Anyone has any idea how to fix this?

Thanks a lot guys
    Tudor

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Tudor View Post
    Hi everybody,

Recently I've changed the styluses and rearranged the setup to free up space (turned around the TT).
    The issue is that if place the needle on the record, even without playing it, and I turn up the volume I get a terrific feedback from the speakers (same as bringing a mic near the speaker). If I turn down the volume it mellows down, but if I knock on the TT or tone arm or even the desk, I can hear the knock in the speakers....

Thanks a lot guys
    Tudor
    Not entirely sure what your problem would be caused by, but I would first double-check the cable connections between the cartridge and the headshell. I just replaced my stock carts with M44s, and I had a few of the 4 connector cables loose the first go-around. They should have a "click" when they are in all the way. I had to use needle-nose pliers to get mine all the way on, just be careful not to bend the connector pins.

Excellent choice of tables mate, you'll get some buff arms taking them to gigs!
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

How close are your speakers to your turntables ?
    Are they on the same surface as your turntables ?

If yes, move them (and any subs) to a different surface than the turntables and see if the feedback persists.

Carts essentially ARE microphones and will pick up any bumps or sound vibrations from nearby surfaces. Thats why tons of clubs over the years have to come up with creative solutions for Vibration Dampening from Sprung surfaces to concrete paving slabs, to even suspending the DJ booth in some extreme cases.
    Last edited by deevey; 07-15-2015 at 10:44 PM.

Thanks for the advice guys, here is a short reply.

My cartridge is plug and play, I don't have to mount anything, only to stick it in...so i guess it's not that...

I tried to move the speakers around from the same surface as the TTs, but with no success (ok not very far, just on another surface close by). My biggest question mark is why is it doing when the stylus is just sitting on record with out the record spinning, what does it pick-up then?

Thank

Have you tried just locking everything down? For example:

Tightening the turntable feet
    Tightening the height adjust
    Tighteningthe cart/headshell to the tonearm

Turntable feet can transfer vibration if they're not tightened up really well. I learned this to my detriment when I tried leelling a TT up using a spirit level and height adjusting individual feet by tightening/loosening them!!!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

My biggest question mark is why is it doing when the stylus is just sitting on record with out the record spinning, what does it pick-up then?
    Everything else connected to the same surfaces that connect to your desk, e.g hands touching the desk or mixer, feet vibrations from the floor etc .. you name it a stylus will pick it up if its touching something (e.g. the record).

Check the feet first, if that doesn't work try a sheet of polystyrene or foam under a deck and see if that helps, ensure the turntables aren't touching your other gear either e.g. mixer.

Are the speakers pointed at the turntables ? ... if yes, point them away or wall/stand mount them.

Are your floors carpeted or wood ? .. if wood, get some felt pads under the desk.

Like I said, the cart is essentially a microphone which amplifies the grooves on a record, it will also amplify vibrations from anything else that deck is touching unless they are isolated.

Tech Convert

this might sound silly, but it just might work....

make sure your power cables and RCA leads only cross each other at right angles (90*) and earth everything to the same point

i used to install car audio and this worked for me once or twice with feedback through amps

also, change your setup back to the way it was, to make sure you havent nudged anything during the switch

Did you ever solve this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Tudor View Post
    Hi everybody,

Thanks a lot guys
    Tudor

#NecroBump
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6