[DIY] "Generic midi controller" *Build-log* - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Just a little update:

Received my Teensy 3.1 and am now working on the software part

I want my controller to be as thin as possible so I experimented with some Sanwa OBSF-24's and this is the biggest size reduction i could get away with (without reducing feel/quality)
    Last edited by DJDoubleYou; 07-24-2015 at 09:29 AM.
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

The Teensy is so tiny, when I got mine with a bunch of ither electronic components I almost threw it away by accident.

Ok my little niece was visiting today so i made her a Midi controller that she could use while i was DJ'ing, used only scrap materials i had lying around (except for the teensy, that one is going to be used in another project ) Here are some pic's and a vid of it in action.

First of all we hot glued all the components in place: (I ended up using a scavenged potentiometer from an old Behringer mixer instead to make it a true $0 controller)

The first components in place plus gluing on the buttons

Everything looks good, now lets begin on the inside:

This took a long ass time:

Connecting everything to the brain:

And the result!:

Here is a little vid of me using it:

Oh eh naturally a Parts List

- Shitty buttons from a chinese RC controller
    - Clothing Buttons that were initially glued to the carton box
    - Carton box that contained some fair-trade tea
    - A Potentiometer from a cheap mixer inc. cap
    - Three brand new LED's that you just wasted.
    Last edited by DJDoubleYou; 07-25-2015 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Fixed image #2

OK a little update, i had to gain some experience with the 74HC595 and 74HC4051 chips so i build me a little midi controller:

you can follow the progress here, I have no idea what Tumblr is meant for but it works pretty well for me

I really wish I had added some leds to my Midi Thug.

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair Hutton View Post
    I really wish I had added some leds to my Midi Thug.
    To be honest those 74HC595's are killing me, i'm going to use ws2812's or APA102/4's for my final controller

first design for the faceplate, the final design is going to be made up from three layers:

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DJDoubleYou View Post
    To be honest those 74HC595's are killing me, i'm going to use ws2812's or APA102/4's for my final controller
    I can assume they are. Have you read 595 datasheet? Total current that chip can handle is 70mA. I'm going to assume that you've put 220ohm resistor across each LED. I don't know which color they are, but let's also assume that voltage drop on each is 2.2V.

5V - 2.2V = 2.8V

I = U/R
    I = 2.8V/220ohm
    I = 12,72mA

12,72mA*8 = 101,76mA.

595 is not meant for driving LEDs. That Arduino tutorial which suggested it is horrible. You should pick another chip, or build a LED matrix (best solution IMO).
    Shantea Controls - Custom MIDI controllers: Official | Youtube | Instagram | Tindie
    DJ Mixes: Psychill, Psydub, Dub | House, Progressive, Techno | Dubstep

Quote Originally Posted by paradajz View Post
    I can assume they are. Have you read 595 datasheet? Total current that chip can handle is 70mA. I'm going to assume that you've put 220ohm resistor across each LED. I don't know which color they are, but let's also assume that voltage drop on each is 2.2V.

5V - 2.2V = 2.8V

I = U/R
    I = 2.8V/220ohm
    I = 12,72mA

12,72mA*8 = 101,76mA.

595 is not meant for driving LEDs. That Arduino tutorial which suggested it is horrible. You should pick another chip, or build a LED matrix (best solution IMO).
    Yhea I think I broke them when soldering, but the 595 gets used a lot like this in numerous video's like this one:

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DJDoubleYou View Post
    Yhea I think I broke them when soldering, but the 595 gets used a lot like this in numerous video's like this one: video
    It is still wrong! You can easily damage them if you're going to use that way, or in worst case damage your Arduino/Teensy.
    Shantea Controls - Custom MIDI controllers: Official | Youtube | Instagram | Tindie
    DJ Mixes: Psychill, Psydub, Dub | House, Progressive, Techno | Dubstep

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast