Which Traktor hardware do I need for these requirements?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Which Traktor hardware do I need for these requirements?

Hi All

Complete novice post coming up...

Having been a hardcore 1210/CDJ1000mk2 person for a long (long) time now, I used a controller (Traktor S2) for the first time last week, and need to get back up to speed with technology.

I've been reading various reviews on different Traktor gear, but each assumes I already know what I need.

Can anyone advise on a suitable controller to fit the following requirements?

• It's electronic music all the way (techno, house, 4-4-2 stuff)
    • I want to pull in music from a digital source (e.g. mp3 on USB/laptop) only. I'm not bothered about vinyl or CD's.
    • I'd like to be able to mix two mp3 tracks, but overlay a sample from a third mp3 (e.g. acapella)
    • I like the loop function (if a track is running out, loop 16 beats as an escape)
    • I like jogwheels! (although that's not critical)

After researching I was thinking perhaps the S4mk2 would suffice, but is that overkill? I'd appreciate your input.

Also, what is the D2 device being pushed on NI's website? How is that different to the "S" devices? Again, I've read the spiel but it assumes I've been using the type of kit before.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilDr View Post
    Hi All

Complete novice post coming up...

Having been a hardcore 1210/CDJ1000mk2 person for a long (long) time now, I used a controller (Traktor S2) for the first time last week, and need to get back up to speed with technology.

I've been reading various reviews on different Traktor gear, but each assumes I already know what I need.

Can anyone advise on a suitable controller to fit the following requirements?

• It's electronic music all the way (techno, house, 4-4-2 stuff)
    • I want to pull in music from a digital source (e.g. mp3 on USB/laptop) only. I'm not bothered about vinyl or CD's.
    • I'd like to be able to mix two mp3 tracks, but overlay a sample from a third mp3 (e.g. acapella)
    • I like the loop function (if a track is running out, loop 16 beats as an escape)
    • I like jogwheels! (although that's not critical)

After researching I was thinking perhaps the S4mk2 would suffice, but is that overkill? I'd appreciate your input.

Also, what is the D2 device being pushed on NI's website? How is that different to the "S" devices? Again, I've read the spiel but it assumes I've been using the type of kit before.
    Hello,
    * no problem for traktor on 4/4 beats
    * fine
    * you'll have 4 virtual decks, a full acapella would be a like a track not a sample (in traktor sense, a shorter acapella - I don't recall exactly - but around 1.68 minutes can be considered a sample and can be used as a sample in traktor (ie within and played in a remix deck)
    * traktor looping function(s) is great and usually all native controllers accommodate for loop management
    * mmh, really unless you scratch jogwherels aren't very necessary (I come from a similar background, vinyls and cdjs). The only reason nowadays I use them is to control fx (they are really big encoders; nothing more in most cases).

No, an S4 isn't overkill and leaves you with some room for improvement/learning.
    A D2 is a single controller made to control 2 decks as a pair (ie A&C, B&D, bearing in mind it's not convenient to control 4 decks with one D2, hence you'll need 2 to be practical). It was made to control a track deck and give you control over the associated remix deck.
    The main differences between the D2 and the S series is that the S series are all-in-one controllers giving you access to decks controls and a mixer section, with an integrated soundcard, something the D2 doesn't have; on the other hand, it has a really fine screen (not a detail actually).
    Now if I was you I would wait until the BPM event as you never now what can be released/announced (an updated S4 may be around the corner). http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=88552. To be taken with a pinch of salt of course. It's only a rumor here, nothing more.
    Otherwise a second hand S4 is still an option.

Whatever your choice it will always come down in your case to:
    - what's your budget
    - do you want an all in one controller
    - or do you want to go modular?
    Latest mix

There’s also an almost hermetic community that exists in many areas of dance music, where serious hobbyists feed off each other’s expertise but barely connect to the industry – despite many of those involved actually working in it.

Tech Guru

Since you already have an S2, and assuming that you like it....I would keep that and add on in a modular approach. The only capability you seem to be missing from your list are transport and loop controls for a 3rd deck.

Adding a X1 would get you transport, loop, and FX controls that could be assigned to Decks C&D. That would allow the layering of loops or acapellas in a simple way.

You could also add a Midi Fighter Twister with the step sequencer on a remix deck.

The S2, X1, MF Twister combo is more or less the setup that I have and use. I am happy enough with the X1 that I am considering dropping the S2 entirely.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Thanks for the complete post here. It really did helped me so perfectly.
    Last edited by Moseng; 08-03-2015 at 02:35 AM.

Tech Convert

Amazing answer, thank you. That's cleared up pretty much most of the stuff I was unsure about

Quote Originally Posted by Yul View Post
    * mmh, really unless you scratch jogwherels aren't very necessary (I come from a similar background, vinyls and cdjs). The only reason nowadays I use them is to control fx (they are really big encoders; nothing more in most cases).
    At last week's party I just brought a USB stick containing my music and plugged it into the owner's laptop. There was no pre-preparation on my behalf. The owner had only owned the S2 for a few days himself, so was unsure about most features. One thing that became apparent straight away was that Traktor often didn't start playing at the first beat (as I would have lined up manually with the CDJ's (pressing Cue to hold it).

Also, even without auto-sync activated, sometimes it did not get the beats synchronised correctly, and neither was the BPM. Therefore I used the jogwheel exactly as I would on the CDJ's to correct things. This was a newbie guess on both parts though, as I didn't know what other wizardry there was to use instead.

That was the reason for jogwheels really; a last ditch escape in case technology failed me, although you might advise if there are better options, particularly with regards to choosing the starting point of each track.

No, an S4 isn't overkill and leaves you with some room for improvement/learning.
    Super. I was just a bit worried that I'd buy a device, then learn it thoroughly, but wish I'd spent a bit more for something better instead with two extra features I really would have benefited from!

or do you want to go modular?
    Well now you've really got me thinking. I think that's worth a fresh question.

Thanks very much again, I really appreciate your time.

Tech Guru

At last week's party I just brought a USB stick containing my music and plugged it into the owner's laptop. There was no pre-preparation on my behalf.
    One of the foundational assumptions of Traktor is that the grid is correct. There is simply no way to get around that assumption. Other foundational assumptions include: all music is in 4/4 time, and all music has a single tempo (e.g. drum machine). And the list goes on.

The "beats" of the music are NOT recognized by Traktor as being significant (outside of the auto-gridding process)....it is the grid that is used for everything. The cue points, loops, FX, and even sync (if you're into that kind of thing) are all based on the grid.

For EDM, the auto gridding process is at least in the ballpark, and it is possible to refine the grid on the fly. That said, Traktor HEAVILY rewards advanced prep on tracks. I do find that Mixed In Key's first cue point is pretty good on tracks that include a beat in the intro.

The touch strip on the X1 Mk2 is more than sufficient (and quite intuitive) for cueing tracks to the first beat.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    The touch strip on the X1 Mk2 is more than sufficient (and quite intuitive) for cueing tracks to the first beat.
    What is the "modular" equivalent of an S4mk2 please? I saw your comment about going modular, which is only provoking more questions I'm afraid.

I saw the X1Mk2 has a USB socket on the back. Is that for connection to the laptop, or the mixer? Does a modular approach allow anything more than what a standard S4mk2 provides?

Sorry again for the novice questions, I'm just getting my head round what all the gear "does", and whether I'd evolve into wishing I'd bought it!

Tech Guru

What is the "modular" equivalent of an S4mk2 please? I saw your comment about going modular, which is only provoking more questions I'm afraid.
    The S4 provides two decks of controls, with the ability to switch on the fly and control four decks. There is also a four channel mixer, and a built in sound interface.

The modular equivalent would be something like:

A&H Xone K2
    NI Kontrol X1 Mk2 (x2)

Any 2 deck controller w/jogs + an NI F1 would suit you perfectly, mate.

If money's an issue, thats your best route.

If you;re a beginner (or new to Digital DJ'ing) I'd go for NI gear. Then you don;'t have to mess around learning how to map!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

My brother is coming from exclusively CDJ's i convinced him to pick up an S2Mk2 to get him started digitally mixing, but IMO if you have access to a real mixer, a modular setup is the way to go.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast