Default QUAD-CORE & FL Studio audio crackling

Hi,

I bought a new PC: ASUS GL552J

Windows 8.1
    Intel Core I7-4720HQ (2,60GHz)
    8gb RAM
    128gb ssd + 750gb hdd
    x64bit

I'm running FL Studio and the audio is always crackling.
    CPU mark is about 23% in Task Manager and in the CPU meter (in FL Studio) is between 50%-99% constantly!
    My last computer, an Acer V? with an intel core i5-3210M (2,5 GHz), 6gb Ram and 750gb HDD (5400rpm), Windows 8, the same project is stable, between 30%-60%.

fl problem.jpg

Someone can explain me what is going on here?

Tech Mentor

I have yet to find a functional and accurate CPU meter so don't worry about the numbers too much.

Checking your buffer size/sample rate and eventually increase/decrease. This will increase the latency, which however is not too relevant for electronic music. Therefore it will also increase the time your CPU is given to calculate before it is forced to send the next tiny bit of audio out. If your CPU didn't have enough time to calculate that will result in crackling noises.

Another option could be that you did not install the 64 bit version of FL (I'm no FL user, but I'm sure there are two versions) and had the 64 bit version before. That could result into the RAM beeing limited at 4GB (32bit limit), which could be an issue as well.
    Also you could consider to permanently enable CPU boost. This can be done in the power management options on your PC. It looks something like this:

FW7Rt.jpg
    99% should be the standard 2.60 Ghz, whereas 100% is the 3.6 Ghz boost. If you set your maximum to 99% you disable the boost. If you set max and minimum to 100% you permanently enable the boost. You will however want to make sure your CPU does not overheat when running boosted all day.

Tech Student

yep, I have the x32bit version, but I tested in airplane mode with avg and firewall disabled and it was stable (in 64%) for 15 minutes, then the audio started crackling and cpu was jumping from 44% to 99% constantly (the project was in pause)...
    I will install in x64 bitS and I will see if this still happen