The Minefield of Mixers
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default The Minefield of Mixers

My Mixtrack Pro 2 has served me well but i feel it's the end of the road for us now. Decided i would gradually start to go modular and started it off with an F1. Absolutely love it. Got a good bunch of samples now that i drop into my sets and am really liking where it's going but really would be nice to EQ that third channel and get a bit more fx control so bought an X1 and with a bit of Mixtrack re-mapping it does the trick but it's messy and was only really a short term solution until i got the cash together for a nice 4 channel mixer. Finally that day is now here.

I've been looking into mixers for the past few weeks and what an absolute minefield it is (I mix tech house and techno mainly). There seems to be a lot of competition for a lot of very similar products at similar prices!

Initially i liked the look of the Allen and Heath Xone DB2 - looks a nice mixer with a lot of good reviews and looks to be more than i would ever need. However i then noticed the Xone 43C which looks to be much the same mixer but without the 2 FX engines which, thinking about it, i don't really need. I'm perfectly content with the Traktor effects i've been using and the X1 makes it so easy to switch between them etc I am wondering if the extra £200 for a DB2 is overkill?

Had a look at the Denon DNX1600 which also looks a really nice mixer for a similar price to the 43C but again looks to be a very 'busy' looking mixer with a lot of stuff on it i probably don't need.

Can anyone offer me any information or experiences on these products or anything else in the same sort of price bracket that may influence my decision???

Cheers

I have a Denon DNX1700 which is the bigger brother of the 1600 with an extra FX engine and minus the dedicated midi controls. As far as mixers go you can't go wrong for the price. They are very well made, sound quality is awesome and once you use the upfaders, crossfader and eq's you will love it. They are also Traktor Scratch certified (if you ever wanted to go down that route). It may look 'busy' but everything is spaced out beautifully and is there for a reason. Alot of mixer for the money. A&H are lovely mixers but the faders (which you use alot) let the DB series down in my opinion, the feel and action of the DNXs make them a pleasure to use.
    TSP2, Rane 64, 2x SL1210 (restored and customised), Shure M44-7 Carts, X1 Mk 2, Launchpad.

http://www.sounditoutrecords.co.uk
    https://soundcloud.com/theworkhouse-sessions

Hey, I just bought the DN-1600 last week (unused second hand $500) and i absolutely love it(I too switched to modulair, from an S4 in this case though)! I did not have this feeling of it looking to busy but I can imagine what you mean, the entire left section (mic's) are not useful to me and the effects are quite, eh minimalistic which makes them fun and easy to use but to be honest the FX inside traktor are just so much better (I expected this but the routing option that comes with this is why i stil like the FX section). My first choice would have been an XONE:92 but since this is waaaay to expensive I settled for this and I must say I think I am going to love and cherish this mixer for a long time, it's awesome. Oh and love the full EQ kill btw.

Strongly agree with this review btw: (more here)

I have the DN-X1600 now over two months. i work in the lest 3 years with : DJM-800, DJM-900, TTM57, XONE 92. and i have one thing to say - the X1600/1700 is the best mixer in the market right now except the XONE-DB4.

This mixer is amazing, denon its underrated company. I give a brief review about this mixer:

Sound - great warm sound. very similar to the excellent A&H XONE series. 9/10.

Upfaders - long, smooth but not loose. great upfaders. 9/10.

Crossfader - Vestax class. i very surprised about the cross. the 4ch mixers (djm,xone)
    provide a nice cross but not one to impress scratch djs. the X-1600 do this. 8.5/10.

FX - the weak spot of the X1600. the DJM800/900 only plus over this mixer. i have many things to say about the fx section but really its to much to write. 5.5/10.

MIDI - the best midi-mixer in the market right now. better than X1700(no separate midi section. and better than DB4.
    95 percent on the mixer is midi capable. even the crossfader, the line section midi mode is the most brilliant mixers tech i see lest two years. 9.5/10. it could be 10 if the mixer was percent midi.

MIC - 2 great preamp. the ducking is brilliant, its more than just talkover. the eq mic section its combined for the two mics - its a little bummer. 7/10.

Matrix Input - in one word? WOW! in two Words? Fucking WOW. i do nasty things with the denon input matrix system. the XONE DB4 emulate this function from denon and they know what they doing. 10/10.

Built Quality - the one thing is worried me before i purchase denon mixer. but i mistake in big time. its a Israel army tank. 9/10.

My conclusion about the DN-X1600? - the best mixer in the market except the XONE DB4.
    the pioneer djm series over priced and certainly good like the xone and denon latest mixers.
    everything on this mixer its simply great - except the FX.

The DENON company earned my as a buyer.
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

Tech Mentor

are you set on having an external mixer?

another option is to get a badass dedicated sound card, such as an apollo, and pair that with another midi device as a mixer. that way you can mix internally. now you have access to all of your 4 decks. i've been using a similar set up for the live set i've been working on.
    Technics 1210 / Pioneer plx 1000 / Xone 42 / Adam a3x / UA apollo twin / Maschine mikro / Ableton live 9 / Maschine 2 / MBP Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015

What is your budget mate? Some great suggestions so far.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Killing time View Post
    are you set on having an external mixer?

another option is to get a badass dedicated sound card, such as an apollo, and pair that with another midi device as a mixer. that way you can mix internally. now you have access to all of your 4 decks. i've been using a similar set up for the live set i've been working on.
    I'll look into the apollo mate but i do like the idea of having an external mixer as it stands.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    What is your budget mate? Some great suggestions so far.
    I don't really want to part with more than £900 mate. If i can get away with a lot less than that it'd be ideal though

Tech Guru

I have an X1600 that I picked up as an X-Mas gift to myself last year. It is really nice to have/use. DJ with three decks plus one remix deck. For me, if there was one more output channel dedicated to the headphones (for previewing outside of a deck) it would be perfect for my workflow. Overall, that is a small concession

The X1600 is built like a tank, and about as portable. I have been looking at the A&H Xone K2 as a possible "portable solution." That keeps some external mixer controls available - but is an internal mixing solution. That may be a non starter for you, depending on your workflow.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Quote Originally Posted by Leftism View Post
    I don't really want to part with more than £900 mate. If i can get away with a lot less than that it'd be ideal though
    You can get a DNX-1600 for less than that, my DNX-1700 was under that second hand and is as new. Search the auction sites there is loads of stuff on there for decent money.

Where abouts are you based
    TSP2, Rane 64, 2x SL1210 (restored and customised), Shure M44-7 Carts, X1 Mk 2, Launchpad.

http://www.sounditoutrecords.co.uk
    https://soundcloud.com/theworkhouse-sessions

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by nobbycossie View Post
    You can get a DNX-1600 for less than that, my DNX-1700 was under that second hand and is as new. Search the auction sites there is loads of stuff on there for decent money.

Where abouts are you based
    I've been keeping an eye on ebay for a few but i'd rather buy new. I've got a 10% discount code for decks.co.uk valid until mid-August so i'm planning to use that.

I'm in Aberdeen mate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast