Record Pools??

Thread: Record Pools??

Default Record Pools??

How many of you guys are part of record pools.... would you guys consider registering to a record pool if it was offered by the record label itself??

Tech Mentor

It depends what type of stuff you play. I have almost weekly Top-40 gigs, and for me a record pool is absolutely essential to keep up with the latest trends and to get stuff that people are going to want to hear. Plus, having extended intro/outro, hype edits, transition tracks, and good remixes is incredibly beneficial. That said, most of the major record pools are tailored towards the hip-hop/pop crew so if you're doing regular psy-trance gigs, I'd say you could probably save the subscription money and put it towards Beatport or whatever.

As far as whether I would join a pool owned by a single label, not likely. The stuff I routinely play is all released on different labels, so I wouldn't be able to get away with just one. In my mind, I feel that pulling from a single label would limit your musical selection dramatically.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sunshine View Post
    It depends what type of stuff you play. I have almost weekly Top-40 gigs, and for me a record pool is absolutely essential to keep up with the latest trends and to get stuff that people are going to want to hear. Plus, having extended intro/outro, hype edits, transition tracks, and good remixes is incredibly beneficial. That said, most of the major record pools are tailored towards the hip-hop/pop crew so if you're doing regular psy-trance gigs, I'd say you could probably save the subscription money and put it towards Beatport or whatever.

As far as whether I would join a pool owned by a single label, not likely. The stuff I routinely play is all released on different labels, so I wouldn't be able to get away with just one. In my mind, I feel that pulling from a single label would limit your musical selection dramatically.
    true. but a pool from a single label at lets say $4/month would be useful if you want promos from a certain label. I would not be my only source, but as far as streaming and downloads it could be useful...

as far as music goes, i get my music from multiple sources. I already spend around 20 a week on music lol

Would never spend money on it personally.

I just got added to the promo list for a lot of labels I submit tracks to. The rest I dig up on Soundcloud. Rarely do I buy music anymore.

If you play regularly a pool is very convenient, djtechtools.com wrote two articles(1 & 2) about them which you can check out but for me it is not (yet) financially responsible.
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI