Windows 10 and Traktor: I took the plunge
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Windows 10 and Traktor: I took the plunge

I read that Windows 10 had some changes to it's audio processing stack, which allegedly would cause a massive improvement in audio application latency right off the bat without them even being optimised for Windows 10. I'm taking a break from gigs at the moment so had plenty of time to recover to 8.1 if it all went Pete Tong.

Been hammering it now for hours, unbelievable improvement on my i5 Lenovo. Not one pop or crackle, no flickering tracklists, the load meter and even the program itself runs smoother than it did on 8.1. Just running it with my X1 at the moment, going to give I a full run through with the S4 and timecodes tomorrow, but at present I've got two track decks and 8 remix channels going through 4 FX banks with Maschine in the background and it's running fine.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say that not only has the latency decreased, but the CPU load has decreased as well. On 8.1 Maschine would lag up every so often but so far it's not had a single hiccup.

Genuinely, well done Microsoft.
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

What model Lenovo do you have? I'm running a Z50-70, and waiting for a post just like this. How long did the update take? I have a gig on friday, and if win10 update does give audio improvements, I'd definitely do it.
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

Woot woot that's good to hear Im d/l Windows 10 as I type this for my desktop and my laptop.
    Numark 4 Trak | VCI-400 | Fostex PM0.3 Bookshelf Monitors | The Triple Threat NI-F1, N1-X1-MK2, NI-Z1 | Serato DJ/Flip

Thank you for posting this I have an S4 and am going nuts beating my brain should I or not and want to but want someone else to be the Guinna pig... Right now just dealing with other things to worry and tackle on more stress.

I have a HP DV7 basically HP's flagship laptop for business and A/V editing love it have no issues except the wifi is a powerful 2.4 but wish it was a newer .ac version

Saw this and was hoping its true to what it sounds like...
    mail.google.com.jpg

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    I read that Windows 10 had some changes to it's audio processing stack, which allegedly would cause a massive improvement in audio application latency right off the bat without them even being optimised for Windows 10. I'm taking a break from gigs at the moment so had plenty of time to recover to 8.1 if it all went Pete Tong.

Been hammering it now for hours, unbelievable improvement on my i5 Lenovo. Not one pop or crackle, no flickering tracklists, the load meter and even the program itself runs smoother than it did on 8.1. Just running it with my X1 at the moment, going to give I a full run through with the S4 and timecodes tomorrow, but at present I've got two track decks and 8 remix channels going through 4 FX banks with Maschine in the background and it's running fine.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say that not only has the latency decreased, but the CPU load has decreased as well. On 8.1 Maschine would lag up every so often but so far it's not had a single hiccup.

Genuinely, well done Microsoft.
    The audio latency improvements only matter for WDM drivers, not ASIO. Any improvements you notice on ASIO are likely to just be confirmation bias and the side effect of having a newer, cleaner OS install.

Ive been using 10 for about six months, and it performs identically to my Win8 box.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJ View Post
    The audio latency improvements only matter for WDM drivers, not ASIO. Any improvements you notice on ASIO are likely to just be confirmation bias and the side effect of having a newer, cleaner OS install.

Ive been using 10 for about six months, and it performs identically to my Win8 box.
    Its not confirmation bias because I went in there expecting it not to work, after all Traktor and windows 8 was absolutely horrendous at the start due to the change in audio processing.

One thing I have noticed is the scrolling waveforms are smoother, they always had this weird low frame rate effect on 8, now it's gone... There was also an issue where at some point within the first hour Traktor would hiccup and then no song would load for like 2 minutes. That's gone.

Flickering tracklists?? Gone.

Latency is now a cool 6 ms, a 4ms improvement!
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

I'll wait for the first update that Windows 10 forces on you to see what breaks.

Not that I use my Surface Pro 2 much for Traktor, but I think I'll stick with Win 8.1 Pro for a while on it.
    Main Gig Comp - MacBook Air 11" 1.3GHz i5, 4GB, 512GB, OS X 10.12.6
    Gig Gear - TSP 2.6.8 & 2.11.2, Kontrol X1mk2 (x2), D2 (x2), S5, Xone:92, Xone:PX5, CDJ-2000 (x2), DDJ-XP1 ... Rekordbox DJ 5 with a few packs ...
    Plenty of studio gear and not enough time ... and a few Nexo PA systems

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by frankle View Post
    I'll wait for the first update that Windows 10 forces on you to see what breaks.

Not that I use my Surface Pro 2 much for Traktor, but I think I'll stick with Win 8.1 Pro for a while on it.
    Auto updates are easily disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJ View Post
    Auto updates are easily disabled.
    I thought Microsoft were forcing updates onto you unless you had the enterprise version?
    Mobile DJ. 2 x Denon SC2900, Denon MC-6000 MK2, Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers, Titan A15 Subs, HP laptop. Shed load of lights!! Maschine Mikro MK2, Xone:K2.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ
    2G on Twitter | 2G on Facebook
    | RobDQuick On Soundcloud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast