Smithson Martin Emulator Pro 1.5- Has anyone here tried it?
    Tech Wizard

Default Smithson Martin Emulator Pro 1.5- Has anyone here tried it?

Thinking about getting it. Anybody have experience using this emulator with Traktor and Ableton? Like it? Love it? Hate it? Feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

I reviewed it a long time ago.

DJDiscourse.com — the new DJ community

Tech Wizard

It caught my eye, but Lemur on a large touch screen is probably a better bet... Cheaper, less setup space, plus the device your running (large tablet or something) can be used for regular tablet activity...

Give this a peep
    http://djtrax.us/201503/23-inches-of...l-with-traxus/

The ability for the crowd to sort of see whats going on with emulator might be a leg up on Lemur depending what your after

**edit, didnt realize they had a standalone version that didnt require their hardware
    Last edited by Traxus; 08-12-2015 at 10:44 PM.
    Traxus Interactive Webiste (Lemur template download here)
    Traxus Interactive on Facebook (Most up to date news here)

Tech Mentor

Played with it at a show once. Really cool piece of gear. The benefit of using their set up is it is totally self contained. Everything is in its own case and the screen just folds into it. From what I saw in the case, it was a Mac mini and all the necessary inputs.
    It has its place in the market... I would view it more at weddings or corporate events as opposed to showing up to a club or bar with it.

Tech Wizard

I could see myself running this on similar setup to what I run Lemur on, except backed up by an intel NUC instead of an Android TV.

I like the ablity to pull certain parts of the software interface into the emulator interface... Though Im curious as to whether you can re-position/rotate these elements, or if it literally has to be a window through to the layout of Traktor. (IE could i cut out and rotate the wave forms)...

I'm also curious if Emulator offers similar internal scripting capabilities to Lemur or if its more point and click like TouchOSC.

I initially wrote this solution off as their Hardware setup is just too damn much of a hassle (looks awesome though). However the ability to use it on a more compact setup makes it a bit more appealing.

Tech Mentor

I tried it at the DJ Expo in 2011 with Alan Smithson and it was pretty cool back then way before they had the current all in one design but its so much more now. Now with the new software, you can use it for any midi program and build your own UI that sits on top of the program you want to control.

https://smithsonmartin.com/products/emulator-pro/#

Tech Wizard

Just watched the demo video of the Editor,

long story, Lemur is better because of its (archaic, painful but totally powerful) internal scripting language that allows objects to communicate with each other.

For instance, in Lemur, I can say "when I press Button A, Knob B will turn red and its value will go to 100%, and send midi output to these 3 CCs"

Emulator dosen't offer that capablity... its basically 'this knob is this color and controls this CC' so it is a lot less flexable.

The ability to cut windows into Traktor or something else and actually see the software is huge, but under developed... I want to be able to re arrange these windows, or only show some at a given time etc... that would really allow for some complex and more touch friendly/intuitive interfaces.

I'll be intrested to see if this software hangs around and where they are in 2 to 3 years...