KRK Rokit 8 reviews?

Default KRK Rokit 8 reviews?

Hey guys. I was wondering if anybody here could tell me about the KRK Rokit 8 Speakers. I think I might buy them for my first speakers once I get the money. Would two be enough power for a small venue/club, or party?
    Thanks in advance

There's plenty of reviews out there but if you're asking about suitability I personally wouldn't want to push them beyond a party in someones front room. To be completely honest I think I would actually use them as monitor speakers instead of the main sound source. Bear in mind that I think there were originally designed for studio use, true they can go loud but their main function is clarity of sound rather than volume.
    Live rig: Denon Prime (5000M's)
    Retired: Denon x1700, Denon SC3900's, Traktor, Technics SL1200's, my vinyl
    Wish list: Some Roland Aira stuff.

Tech Mentor

Don't look for studio monitors if you want to use them for parties unless it's a one-room-flat-party or anything else indoors where the people are not more than three meters away from the speakers at the most. They are called near-field-monitors for a good reason! You will hear them even further away, but it will not sound that good and it will also not be good for your speakers.
    If you want speakers for a party get a small PA system. Those will cost you about the same (and more), but go way louder and are designed to not get damaged by a higher volume. This is a good page to get an idea (biggest online music store in Germany/EU): www.thomann.de/gb/dj_sets.html

Thanks guys. Some of the other reviews I've read talk about how they are "Too loud for studios" or "super loud" etc. which is why I thought I'd ask.

Also thanks lots for the link Tilldrop! That was the follow up question - "Then what should I look for?"

Quote Originally Posted by DJCraven View Post
    That was the follow up question - "Then what should I look for?"
    The obvious question is what's your budget? But for simplicity in the short term: a couple of decent active speakers with stands. You don't have to worry about amps or any of the other maths involved with passive speaker systems, simply plug in and par-tay. Subwoofer(s) are optional, you probably won't need or have the budget for them at this stage and while they make your sound more complete I'm not sure your house party needs to move enough air to rearrange furniture just yet.
    You also get what you pay for, obviously Cerwin Vega will urinate all over Behringer stuff but then it'll also be more than double the price. There's some good, cheaper brands to be had and google is your friend :-)

Staz, I think that was the best way you could have put it.! Thanks for the tips. Yeah I'm still a rookie for the time being and probably for a while to come. I think if I can find a pair of active speakers/stands then I'll have more than I need to get myself going and gain some experience over the next few years. I'm still young too which is a big plus!

Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by DJCraven View Post
    Thanks for the help!
    Not a problem, just be sure you research the hell out of it. There's a huge amount of reviews online for gear and while budget is a serious consideration, attention must also be paid to how a system will sound. If you have a place that sells PA gear near you then auditioning various setups within your budget would be of use to you. As you say, time is on your side ;-)

Good luck mate :-)

Tech Wizard

I'll give you an example of what I've used at a couple of gigs:

(2) Mackie 450's
    (2) QSC K12's
    (2) JBL EON 15's

I'm with Stazbumpa. Just thought I'd throw in some personal experience with certain PA's that sounded decent...
    Joboodah

Tech Mentor

don't use near-field studio monitors for parties. They are made to sound best at 75-100dB

You're after small cabinet loudspeakers. self-powered.
    If you got the funds, can always order some PK Sound Klarity tops & even subs. the 8" are actually incredibly loud for their size.
    http://www.pksound.ca/products/