Traktor Remix Deck Step Sequencer via iPad APP + MidiMux

Default Traktor Remix Deck Step Sequencer via iPad APP + MidiMux

Hi DJ TT!!

I did a quick video with a little explanation (unfortunally in Italian) of how i have implemented the step sequencer on my traktor Remix deck using a simple FREE app for the iPad. In the first part however you could appreciate the setup in action

What do You Need?

Nord Beat 2 APP for the ipad (FREE)

MidiMux (6,99$ on the App Store): This app is really useful because you don't need a midibox like this anymore http://cdn.mos.musicradar.com/images...-2-1200-80.jpg but you can do all via software instead of buy bulky and more expensive hardware.

Here is a little explanation of the APP:
    if you have a MIDI device connected to your Mac or PC, midimux will create a copy of it on the iDevice – thus allowing other apps to talk to it directly. any byte of MIDI received by the MIDI device on the Mac/PC will be piped to and received on the virtual copy of that device on the iOS device – and is then usable by its apps. data sent out by apps to the virtual copy on the iOS device will be piped back via usb, and then sent to the real device on the Mac/PC. the same is true the other way around. if an app creates a virtual MIDI port (e.G. Animoog), midimux will create a copy of that port on the Mac or PC, naming it ‘Animoog @ iPad’. if an app does not create a virtual MIDI port, midimux always gives the possibility to create virtual ports manually. these can then be used by any apps on any of the iOS devices to pipe data to the Mac or PC. or other iDevices or both and back at the same time. midimux handles MIDI timestamps with care to ensure stable timings and clock signals across the different devices.

i'll try to write a short explanation in the same order showed in the video.

The setup

Ipad connected to my mac with its lightning cable through my usb Hub.

1) Start Midimux Daemon on your Mac after you install it!

2)On the Ipad, let's open Midimux and Create in the Left Column a virtual port by pressing the "+" button on the top of the screen. In the video i called it "Lemur"

3)Open Traktor and create/assign to the mapping (in the mapping the trick happens ) the virtual port you just have created with Midimux. This is a fundamental step because thanks for this step Traktor can communicate with the Nord Beat App on the Ipad.

4) Sync The app with Traktor. In the app Go to Menu---Midi Device--- Clock Tab--- Recive--- Traktor Virtual Output (Set the offset and memorize the number because every time you restart the app you have to set the offset manually... i know.. i know.. uff!!! but it's free! ). In Traktor: Go to Preferences---- Controller Manager--- Add-- Generic Midi--- IN port set to NONE / OUT Port Set to Traktor Vitual Output. Make Sure you have check Traktor can send its midi clock by going in the midi clock tab also in the preferences.

5) Load your samples and start the midi clock send. The step sequencer should start following the master tempo you set in Traktor. i can control all the remix deck with my F1. the App is only for the step sequencer. so if you don't have an F1 you need at least a controller to select the sample you want sequence in the corresponding Slot/Cell
    http://www.native-instruments.com/up...31c5d7.png.png

I hope I was clear and have at least briefly explained how everything was set. if you have any questions I will be happy to respond to your comments. I'm planning to publish soon a detailed guide with lots of screenshots and maybe a video guide that explains how to set the whole thing in English.

Enjoy

DiJ/Producer
    2 Xone K2 - Maschine - Traktor Pro 2.6.8 - Ableton Live 9 Push - Xone DB2 - MBP13 Late 2011 i7 - Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 "
    Ableton Live 9 Certificate User
    http://www.facebook.com/Effenem

Default Mapping ?

Super interesting !

I downloaded Nord Beat and Midimux but where can I find the mapping you are loading in Traktor ? I can't do much without that part ...

Thanks !