Need helps\suggestions to start fingerdrumming - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    Fixed you original post gtrx.
    Thank you!

I bought a used MPD24 for 50 euros. The chap who sold me it had modified it to make the pads more sensitive. It's REALLY fun.

My MPK49 had drum pads that weren't modified this way, and they were a bit too tough for me to play expressively. Tapping out rhythms on that thing made enough noise to wake my neighbors. Good for practicing and letting out aggression, not so good for making music.

Quote Originally Posted by grtx View Post
    Could you explain me why? I'm sorry, I'm really new to this.. I seen a lot of people using LP for finger drumming and I thought it was good for it

Thanks a lot
    i do like the launchpad but ideally for finger drumming u want some velocity sensitive pads instead of somewhat clicky buttons like the LP has.

the lpd8 is a very cheap way of getting into finger drumming, tho only a 4x2 grid. i did consider buying a 2nd one once to create a 4x4 grid 2nd hand they go really cheap... an MPD would be ideal tho probably... or a 2nd hand trigger finger or korg padkontrol maybe...
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

I've got to be honest, I can't stand the MPDs.

I started (FDing) on a MIDIFighter (I did use a MPC1000 back when), and the way I'm accustom to FDing - I don't like full sized pads. I've tried the QuNeo and it has the same issue - for me. I ended up getting a second midi figher (sepctra and 3D) to go wit hthe QuNeo, tried the pads on the Launchkey figuring they would feel similar to the launchpad, they felt way to 'squishy', and while responsive, they just didn't feel responsive. I bought a Push recently, tried FDing on there, only issue on there is positioning, I like to turn the device, but the Push isn't really for turning hehe.

While its an investment, for finger drumming I still don't think you can really beat a MIDI Fighter. If you don't like it, that's fine, the resale market for them is REAL strong still, you won't be out any REAL money. You get real responsiveness, you get excellent size, where you don't have to move your hand from point A to B, not a big deal during production, but for performances, especially real active ones, its nice to cut out the extra movement. Other features of it are pretty much matched by other devices - the light response if you so choose for a little flash or as a visual que, durability, etc.

Now, just because I champion the MIDI fighter for FDing, doesn't mean you can't use anything else, I do just fine on the QuNeo, and the Push is making me use my left hand more than I'm used to, which isn't a bad thing. You can use freaking keyboards. It's something where the platform doesn't make or break you, but arcade buttons are DESIGNED for what you are doing in FDing, being able to hear the 'click' and feel the 'click' instills real confidence, you don't ask "did I hit it hard enough or too hard?" the only flaw with it, its not velocity sensitive, the buttons are just switches - on/off, so from a production stand point, if you want to humanize the performance a bit or anything, you'll have to do that by hand, but that works the other way too, it increases the consistency for a performance.
    - Unreall

Tech Wizard

You can find anything from the MPD Series that should serve your purpose in my opinion, especially if you get a modified one or modify it yourself to make it more sensitive. Personally I started with the pads on my MPK25 which were pretty tough, but then I got an MPK 249 and they were way better, but being a keyboard it isnt exactly portable. I recently acquired a Launchpad Pro (which is a bit expensive at $300, even though I got it for 250) but I love the feel of the pads, the 8x8 grid and the extra functionality it adds to my Ableton workflow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12